• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Accusize Rocks

So we should just "put up and shut up" if we get poor service or are sold sub-standard tools, sometimes at premium prices?
I'm really grateful to people who criticize and comment publicly; it's saved me a lot of wasted money and inconvenience.
I'm also grateful to people who give an online 'heads up' about good values and bargains, and suppliers who do give good service.
That said, service and quality isn't necessarily uniform from any supplier. And, past experience isn't necessarily a good forecast for the future.
YMMV as the saying goes - even from Accusize. :)
Commenting on a product, indicating how the company responded, along with your expectations are one thing and extremely helpful to all.

Speaking ill of continuously of a supplier or product without retrying it/them is what I was referring to a most suppliers do take customer complaints and problems seriously and do their best to improve.

I can mention issues with major "quality" suppliers considered the gold standard but truly sell an inferior product carrying their brand at the brand name pricing.

Again this is one product,

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My original tools were mostly craftsman.

The first tool kit I ever bought was a Sears Craftsman. Warrantee was great. I fried the end off a blade screw driver poking around in a house fuse box. It was replaced no questions asked. Sadly that kit was stolen from the box of my pickup. The thieves cut a window out of the bed topper.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I don’t know how many socket sets and wrenches I’ve bought I’ve always went to Craftsman as the handles are comfortable while pulling them now they seem rebranded by Canadian Tire. If I broke one it was always through misuse.

Tom O

Ultra Member
And here’s my tip after having a tool box stolen from my truck years ago I started using a plastic lunchbox for my tools sitting on the hump of the truck i never had a problem after that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Markup on tools is sometimes insane. Like that $300 collet set - sold for $75, probably at cost.

I frequently question how some cheap tooling can be made for next to nothing.
That is a good question Tom. There are a lot of people in internment in China and they’re not just sitting around. They have to work. This is touching on politics and I probably should just shut up since the forum is not political.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
That is a good question Tom. There are a lot of people in internment in China and they’re not just sitting around. They have to work. This is touching on politics and I probably should just shut up since the forum is not political.
I’ve heard (like a lot of things, I haven’t fact checked this) that scrap copper and other precious metals are stripped/sorted while on the boat heading back to Europe/Asian ports. In a country where labour is valued cheaply, that 15-30 days sail back to a port is time worth having workers, well, working. All the gold that’s in scrap cell phones or computers would add up in a hurry.

There’s huge money in recycling precious metals, even non-precious metals. I’ve taken many truck loads of recycled aluminum or copper, from Canada, to the USA. Even recycled steel or used rail track.

No politics :p

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I’ve heard (like a lot of things, I haven’t fact checked this) that scrap copper and other precious metals are stripped/sorted while on the boat heading back to Europe/Asian ports. In a country where labour is valued cheaply, that 15-30 days sail back to a port is time worth having workers, well, working. All the gold that’s in scrap cell phones or computers would add up in a hurry.

There’s huge money in recycling precious metals, even non-precious metals. I’ve taken many truck loads of recycled aluminum or copper, from Canada, to the USA. Even recycled steel or used rail track.

No politics :p

When in India - in New Delhi - I saw kids break apart with a hammer old outlets and recycle metals. Right there on the street.

How things are made cheaper is not a matter of cost but greed and overhead (needless overhead at that).

I have had quotes from China FOB Toronto and a shop locally, price difference $0.01 per pc on a unit price of $1.26. Most North American manufactures want higher profit and invest tons in Advertising. Guess who pays.

Here is another example, text books. Some here cost $300 to $600 for some specialty books in North America. Get the same book off shore (and they are labeled not for sale in North America) pay only $50.00. Same information different pricing.

This is call localized pricing, unfortunately we get the screws.....

gerritv

Gerrit
I was checking to see if I could afford a 6" Mitutoyo digimatic. CA300 at BDI Express.ca, CA$170 at KBC Tools.ca, exact same part number. That sums it up. Nothing off shore about this one.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I was checking to see if I could afford a 6" Mitutoyo digimatic. CA300 at BDI Express.ca, CA$170 at KBC Tools.ca, exact same part number. That sums it up. Nothing off shore about this one.

$170 is a great price, only US is slightly cheaper at around $166 CAD. Amazon.ca is 181 with free shipping.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
How things are made cheaper is not a matter of cost but greed and overhead (needless overhead at that).

I have had quotes from China FOB Toronto and a shop locally, price difference $0.01 per pc on a unit price of $1.26. Most North American manufactures want higher profit and invest tons in Advertising. Guess who pays.

Here is another example, text books. Some here cost $300 to $600 for some specialty books in North America. Get the same book off shore (and they are labeled not for sale in North America) pay only $50.00. Same information different pricing.

This is call localized pricing, unfortunately we get the screws.....

Ah all these Indians and Pakistanis coming to Canada with both bags filled with computer books. Print quality and paper were inferior but price ... great.

Don't get me started on drugs! You can question some Indian / Pakistani stuff but Russian made drugs are great - no cheating for antibiotics formula, if anything this stuff is stronger then here. You can usually get whole box for 1 pill in Canada. Or even few boxes. Plus no need for prescription, you pick whatever google suggests ;)

Ah all these Indians and Pakistanis coming to Canada with both bags filled with computer books. Print quality and paper were inferior but price ... great.

Don't get me started on drugs! You can question some Indian / Pakistani stuff but Russian made drugs are great - no cheating for antibiotics formula, if anything this stuff is stronger then here. You can usually get whole box for 1 pill in Canada. Or even few boxes. Plus no need for prescription, you pick whatever google suggests ;)
Doesn't help when our PM invest 3/4 billion for a drug plant in a foreign country.

Careful on Russian drugs, over sight is some (cough, cough) what lacking. Remember the biggest drug market is the USA, which makes the FDA oversight so important to ensure quality. No FDA approval, no USA market cash cow.

Also drugs are sold on localized pricing, gouge where the gouging is good and easy.

I grew up in the pharma industry and I know the dirty secrets.

As to the book USA publisher.....

Last edited: