• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

aborted grocery shopping rant...

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I’m getting my gas at Costco and always stop in for a hotdog it’s not the same tho because there’s no onions or peppers , that was my favourite part about getting the hotdog.
Yes! Lack of peppers is very annoying.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I’m getting my gas at Costco and always stop in for a hotdog it’s not the same tho because there’s no onions or peppers , that was my favourite part about getting the hotdog.
in my local costco they have onions hidden behind the counter, you have to know they're there and ask for them. If you want peppers you're pooched

........ And the mustard and relish come in those stupid little bags, that hold near to nothing. I miss the old pumps as well as the onions etc.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I'd question if you actually have eaten Canada Goose. Grass fed, plump with loads of flavourful fat that assures the most succulent and moist roast meat
Actually I was raised on wild meat both hoof & winged, Back east Canada goose must be a different critter than western Canada's cuz my mother tried every way possible to make a Canada goose breast palatable but every one was dark as a rock & tougher than one. ...snows were a different story, still dark but at least chewable.

Susk is right about preparing wild game for the table. We had probably 80% of our table protean from moose, elk & deer when i was a kid. If your preference is for real wild gamey meat just butcher as you would a cow ,hang for your preffered duration, bone-in & all the fat still on it....if you want mild wild venison that will rival beef anytime on the table DO NOT HANG, bone out immediately after the kill and trim every ounce of fat off the meat...make it look like a weasel. Cook with a strip or two of bacon over top to add a bit of moisture/grease to the roast.
When my daughters were being raised, the wife could roast a beef roast & a deer roast at the same time she might as well put the beef in the fridge right off because those teenage girls wouldnt touch it until that deer was used up.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
make it look like a weasel.

Oh my..... That sounds sooooo yummy! :oops::oops::oops::eek::eek::eek:

Killing myself laughing here.

Hey wife! The weasel is ready to serve!

Yup, they will all be lining up for some of that! OMG that's funny!

Edit - maybe the funniest thing is that I believe @historicalarms was actually trying to make it sound good! I Hate to break it to you buddy, but.....

YOU FAILED!

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Certainly no slab of beef ever tasted better than southern farmland venison.
I agree. The difference in taste between a mountain habitat deer and a prairie habitat deer is night and day. The prairie raised deer has an abundance of a pretty diverse range of food (grasses, cereals, forages, etc) that makes them taste much milder yet still distinctively venison. A mountain deer to me tastes like a pine cone. My favorite meat is a prairie white tail.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I agree. The difference in taste between a mountain habitat deer and a prairie habitat deer is night and day. The prairie raised deer has an abundance of a pretty diverse range of food (grasses, cereals, forages, etc) that makes them taste much milder yet still distinctively venison. A mountain deer to me tastes like a pine cone. My favorite meat is a prairie white tail.
I found nothing wrong with southern prairie mule deer either IMO.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Hey wife! The weasel is ready to serve!
When I was a teenager, some teenager buddies of mine from one family all made our spending money on selling furs to Hudson Bay buyers. We shot & trapped weasels, muskrats, beavers & coyotes. Their old man was raised on an Ab homestead when times were very tough in the west and he was always on us "that if you kill it you eat it" so every once in a while he would fry up one of our carcasses just to prove that point.....I eat a mouth full of a weasel, a mouthf ull of a muskrat ( gaged like a hospital nurse on that one), eat a considerable amount of the beaver (tasted a bit polary but was edible in small amounts) but that coyote he cooked up one night wasnt going in side me in any way shape or form ...if anybody on here has ever skined a coyote you know the stink that emanates from them. One of the boys did try a nibble but didnt get it past his tongue before it came out ahead of everything else he had to eat that day LOL

But as for my weasely looking deer....if you ever get out this way I'll smoke a roast for us....you'll want to take the leftovers with you. I havent had any complaints from Chicken on my sausage neither!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh my God....... You don't get better, you just keep getting worse.

I eat a mouth full of a weasel, a mouthfull of a muskrat ( gaged like a hospital nurse on that one), eat a considerable amount of the beaver (tasted a bit polary but was edible in small amounts) but that coyote he cooked up one night wasnt going in side me in any way shape or form ...if anybody on here has ever skined a coyote you know the stink that emanates from them. One of the boys did try a nibble but didnt get it past his tongue before it came out ahead of everything else he had to eat that day LOL

And several weeks of stuff before that too!

I havent had any complaints from Chicken on my sausage neither!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I had to read that several times before I realized what you really meant....... Can't stop laughing now...... Sorry....... I can't help it. My wife is gunna have me committed! Prolly the right thing to do! Maybe I'll just turn myself in.....