• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

A warm hello from Winnipeg

justindavidow

(Justin)
Hi folks!

Been a long-time lurker, but I'm getting the hankering to contribute and ask questions more and more!

I'm Justin; a mid-thirties hobbyist from+in Winnipeg Manitoba.

I've always loved toolmaking; solving problems and helping others to overcome the challenges they face is what keeps me going in life.

I'm tooling up so I can get some projects done this winter. Presently constrained with a tiny basement workshop, but looking to expand and put up a new detached shop in the next few years.

I have.. a lot of hobbies. I deeply love learning which often manifests in sucking up more hours than I have. Photography, videography, music production, foley, field recording, cycling, hiking, live sound reinforcement, 3d printing, CAD, electronics, amateur radio, thermography, embedded computing, programming, woodworking, RPAS, machining, etc etc.

In a past life (15+ years ago!) I did a few dozen one-off or small-production machining jobs weekly. These days my form is sloppy and I need to practice improving tolerances and spend more time planning-and-documenting projects.

Looking forward to meeting folks in the coming years, sharing projects, asking questions, and growing along the way!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Farmland south of Chatham Ontario. The diversity of your interests sounds similar to my own but not the same - which is good - I think........

"Short" list of my interests in addition to machining include: Astronomy, camping, hunting, hiking, fishing, bird watching, wildlife, trees & critters, photography, woodworking, shooting & precision smithing, electronics, computers, sex, programming, dog training, dog field trials, helping young people see the great outdoors through new eyes, all things science, grandkids, eating but not cooking - I burn water, handing out beer bottles, genealogy, making messes, fixing anything for someone else who cares, etc etc etc. But my biggest and most favorite hobby of all is learning. It's a very sad day when I don't learn something new.

So ya, welcome to the forum. You will fit right in!

I think there is an "everything else" section here someplace, and I don't mind being PM'd on any subject anyone wants to talk about but doesn't want to do so for all the world to see.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member

I have.. a lot of hobbies. I deeply love learning which often manifests in sucking up more hours than I have. Photography, videography, music production, foley, field recording, cycling, hiking, live sound reinforcement, 3d printing, CAD, electronics, amateur radio, thermography, embedded computing, programming, woodworking, RPAS, machining, etc etc

Almost sounds like the forum found you, and not the other way around LOL.

You're already a good fit here. Welcome from Calgary bud.

Snocrusher

(Greg)
Welcome from St Andrews MB.
I also have many interests, well too many I think.
Photography, regular, video and drone. Hunting Fishing used to be top of the list but age and mobility limits me now. Snowmobiling Motorcycles ATVs Computers and some simple electronics.
Would love to be mid 30s again.

Last edited:

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Hi Justin,

Welcome from another Winnipeger!!!

I’ve just discovered the forum, so haven’t really had a good chance to look around. I AM looking forward to finding out where I can purchase materials (etc.) in Winnipeg without breaking the bank.

Here I am, thinking the same thing about my 20's. ;)
And here I am thinking the same thing about my 40’s….