A Smile Daily notes on mechanical handwork

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I love your granite pavers and the wooden lawn slats. They make your outside seen very peaceful.
Thank you for your compliment, I think we have the same pursuit. To report the imperfect news, almost all the grass I planted has disappeared. I do not understand why several planting attempts have failed. I do not want to learn about plants.

Next spring I need to plant again. I need to try wild grass. I especially like the green lawn, it is a pleasant scenery.

a smile

Premium Member
The total length is 6.65 meters, which exceeds the length of the measured channel steel, and the welding is extended by 0.65 meters. The weight of this time is beyond my lifting limit, and as I get older, I don't want to risk trying and get injured. I chose the slow but safer installation method, spending about 2.5 hours to install and weld the crossbar.
2023_09_07_14_34_IMG_2607.JPG 2023_09_07_15_13_IMG_2608.JPG 2023_09_07_15_17_IMG_2610.JPG 2023_09_07_15_24_IMG_2612.JPG 2023_09_07_15_28_IMG_2617.JPG
2023_09_07_17_03_IMG_2620.JPG
Working alone is a bit boring, but I enjoy the peace and quiet, which gives me more time to think.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Working alone is a double edge sword, the boss is always right and things get done the way you want, but the downfall of that is YOU have to do the work, I would get so much more done with a "silent" assistant that would clean up after me after my brainstorming and the magic happens and know where shit is so I would be ready to use all of my resources rather than worrying about where something is.
Don't give up on plants they can enhance your area so much they are just like machines they just need some maintenance and some good conditions and they will thrive and show you their beauty.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
almost all the grass I planted has disappeared. I do not understand why several planting attempts have failed. I do not want to learn about plants.

@DPittman is an agronomist. He might have better info than I do. Basically, plants have needs just like machines. Routine maintenance will make them happy and you in return.

Each kind of plant needs its own schedule of routine maintenance. Most plants are different from other plants. Each kind of plant needs the right food in the right quantities, water in the right quantities and schedule, the right pH and soil qualities, the right amount of sunlight, the right humidity and air temperature levels, and tight control of predators and competition.

Seeds also need to be planted in a way that encourages germination. The right depth, the right soil conditions, the right time of year.

The best success will happen when you choose the right plants for your conditions. Look around your neighbourhood and see what plants grow well in many yards like yours. Not just one yard.

Gardeners are like machinists. Most love to share their knowledge and will help you get going.

If that approach doesn't work, you probably have soil contamination. If so, you might be able to fix it, but it's easier to just remove the dirt you have and replace it with good soil.

I'd be particularly concerned about your courtyard. Not much sunlight there. You might need plants that don't need much sunlight.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@DPittman is an agronomist. He might have better info than I do. Basically, plants have needs just like machines. Routine maintenance will make them happy and you in return.

Each kind of plant needs its own schedule of routine maintenance. Most plants are different from other plants. Each kind of plant needs the right food in the right quantities, water in the right quantities and schedule, the right pH and soil qualities, the right amount of sunlight, the right humidity and air temperature levels, and tight control of predators and competition.

Seeds also need to be planted in a way that encourages germination. The right depth, the right soil conditions, the right time of year.

The best success will happen when you choose the right plants for your conditions. Look around your neighbourhood and see what plants grow well in many yards like yours. Not just one yard.

Gardeners are like machinists. Most love to share their knowledge and will help you get going.

If that approach doesn't work, you probably have soil contamination. If so, you might be able to fix it, but it's easier to just remove the dirt you have and replace it with good soil.

I'd be particularly concerned about your courtyard. Not much sunlight there. You might need plants that don't need much sunlight.
Weeds! That stuff will grow anywhere. Has done so in my yard for 10 years until Suzanne moved in and declared war on them! And she's won!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
To report the imperfect news, almost all the grass I planted has disappeared.
Sorry to hear that, it’s very nice that you have your tree still though.

I can understand why you don’t want to learn about gardening too.

I wonder if a moss would grow? We have some at our cottage and it seems to quite readily grow on the stepping stone path.

a smile

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that, it’s very nice that you have your tree still though.

I can understand why you don’t want to learn about gardening too.

I wonder if a moss would grow? We have some at our cottage and it seems to quite readily grow on the stepping stone path.
I cherish all the plants in my yard, not that I don't want to learn about plants, but that I really don't have the time, I feel that my knowledge is still too little, there are always some new problems, and I always need to constantly learn new (new for me) knowledge. Fortunately, after 4 years of cultivation, my yard is basically surrounded by vines, they form a plant wall, very lush, which is what I expected. If the ground is full of green grass it is basically perfect, so I try to plant it again and again. I will replant some wild floor grass after the next year, maybe with different results.

The moss you speak of, if it exists, I hope it exists. But my yard gets a lot of sun, so it should be hard for the moss to survive. Moreover, a pine tree in the courtyard kept discharging oil, and all items and plants under the tree were covered with pine oil at all times. I think this is also a reason why the plants are difficult to survive.

a smile

Premium Member
Today, we have some time to promote the welding of the canopy frame of the yard. First, we will cut the L-shaped welding interface, which will strengthen the welding strength.
2023_09_15_16_41_IMG_2784.JPG
Today, I polished the welding edge for the first time, because the hot dip galvanizing layer will seriously affect the welding effect.
2023_09_15_17_12_IMG_2787_看图王_看图王.jpg

The picture after the two protection welding (mig) welding is still very ugly, but the strength is enough. I think I should strengthen the welding technique practice of second protection welding, but there are not enough job opportunities to practice welding. Moreover, because of the inner rejection of welding sparks, I chose argon arc welding more time, preferring to pay 3-5 times the time, which is also the main reason why I can not improve the technology.
2023_09_15_17_14_IMG_2789.JPG 2023_09_15_17_16_IMG_2790.JPG 2023_09_15_17_21_IMG_2793.JPG 2023_09_15_17_22_IMG_2796.JPG

2023_09_15_17_31_IMG_2798.JPG
Second guarantee welding requires a lot of grinding work is also the reason why I reject

a smile

Premium Member
In the photo outside my shop, the trees are native, bamboo and vine plants that I have spent 5 years to slowly cultivate, I love the feeling of being surrounded by green plants.
2023_09_17_08_06_IMG_2821(1).JPG

The wall of lush plants is beautiful, which is probably one of the reasons why the lawn in my yard is not easy to survive

a smile

Premium Member
Make a stainless steel mixing stick.
Wrap a 6mm round rod around a circle, twist 3 stir sheets using flat steel, and weld.
2023_09_22_17_33_IMG_2927.JPG 2023_09_22_17_40_IMG_2928.JPG

Using 16mm round steel, lathe machining the clamping position.
This is the blender I use to ferment my own shrimp paste. The time is rushed without careful production, the function makes it very useful, but not beautiful enough.
2023_09_22_18_23_IMG_2929.JPG 2023_09_22_18_23_IMG_2930.JPG
Today make a tetrafluoroethylene slip sleeve as a handshake to support the rotation. Two stainless steel rings are added to the outer layer. It's very easy to use now. Then use the lathe to process the outer circle of the circle, and the roundness is not easy to damage the inner surface of the porcelain.
IMG_2944_看图王.JPG IMG_2946.JPG IMG_2949.JPG

Last edited:
Make a stainless steel mixing stick.
Wrap a 6mm round rod around a circle, twist 3 stir sheets using flat steel, and weld.
View attachment 38477View attachment 38478

Using 16mm round steel, lathe machining the clamping position.
This is the blender I use to ferment my own shrimp paste. The time is rushed without careful production, the function makes it very useful, but not beautiful enough.
View attachment 38479View attachment 38480
I don't know about that...... it looks pretty good to me. Another job well done!

a smile

Premium Member
购买的吸顶灯,因为LED组装质量很差,所以直接拆下来,标记布局。
2023_09_29_18_32_IMG_3058.JPG 2023_09_29_18_40_IMG_3059.JPG

使用密封胶(不是专用的干燥胶)粘在底板上,一不小心涂错了结果有些难看。
2023_09_29_21_09_IMG_3062.JPG 2023_09_29_21_37_IMG_3066.JPG
Purchased DC12V/350MA light strip LED, the quality is very good (brand ROHM, do not know where to produce), previously purchased, the longest use of about 3 years did not break, now is still working.

a smile

Premium Member
I feel dizzy after reading for a few days, so take a break from ------ to do some mindless work. Continue my canopy.

The 6.6-meter span of 120mnm channel steel is still a little thin, and it takes about one day to make a strengthened bracket today, using 40*40mm square tubes.
2023_10_09_11_53_IMG_3197.JPG

TIG welding was chosen, although it was slow, but grinding was omitted.
2023_10_09_14_37_IMG_3200.JPG
Galvanized channel steel does not clean the zinc layer of the welding position, so the tungsten electrode is consumed quickly.

2023_10_09_14_39_IMG_3204.JPG

Moreover, the high frequency arc fault of this welding machine can only contact the arc, resulting in very low efficiency. But the welding results are still commendable.
2023_10_09_15_05_IMG_3207.JPG 2023_10_09_16_59_IMG_3209.JPG
Moreover, the high frequency arc fault of this welding machine can only contact the arc, resulting in very low efficiency. But the welding results are still commendable.

This structure "truss", I don't know if the translation is consistent with the Canadian name, it can greatly improve the structural strength, this is the first time I tried this structure, very satisfied with its endurance