• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

A small plastic part

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I was in Toronto, a friend that I have there asked me if I knew anyone that could make some parts. These are ongoing parts used in a vaporizer on an anesthetic machine for veterinary use. I believe they are not in a critical function of the operation of the unit, for those concerned about liability. They just provide an indent for setting the concentration but does not affect the actual percentage of agent administered. They are an ongoing need as they get broken, so he is looking for someone to make them as needed. I would think 20 at a time or so but guessing. For now, I was looking for input. He had a machinist who made them but that fella retired (retired retired...he was retired but worked out of his shop afterwards, like many of us. Maybe he is even on here and I don't know)

I was thinking that plastic printing might be better than machining...? I think the plastic is a delrin. I am also thinking maybe brass would be better but need to check with my buddy. I did not get to have one in my hand so only have these photos but he could mail me one.

Could you print a bunch at once and then snap them off ? I don't have a 3D printer (but this might push me that way), or if someone here wants to take on the project, I can get more info. I have asked him for more info so can add to this thread later but thought I might get the topic going.

Attachments

• diameter.jpg
    diameter.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 24
  • length.jpg
    length.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 24

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Shawn I am assuming there is a hole in the middle, it would be easy enough to print off some maybe with PLA(material) that could be tried depending on the tolerances for fit and because they are so small one could use a smaller diameter nozzle .1 and get a more accurate replication than the .4 standard nozzle. I could print some off for you to try if you want.
It might not be too bad to turn down some plastic too if you can get an accurate center hole on such a small piece.

I have something similar in the past (about 25yrs ago) in brass, plastic should be no problem. Made a custom lathe cutter (screw machine approach) and did it one pass. With a collet chuck it would be even easier.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Shawn I am assuming there is a hole in the middle, it would be easy enough to print off some maybe with PLA(material) that could be tried depending on the tolerances for fit and because they are so small one could use a smaller diameter nozzle .1 and get a more accurate replication than the .4 standard nozzle. I could print some off for you to try if you want.
It might not be too bad to turn down some plastic too if you can get an accurate center hole on such a small piece.
No hole in the center. Solid.

Depending on tolerances, I am wondering if just 1/8" stock can be used. I will check with him. Waiting to hear back from other questions.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Exactly how I did it, mind you back then with a 3 jaw chuck
Sounds good. When he first told me "about 3 mm", I was thinking pretty small for me but after seeing the photo and posting the information here, it does not look too bad to do at all. I am still waiting on quantities he would consume.

If he does need plastic and quantities are large, I may see if a member here wants to print them. I still think printing a sheet of them (picturing a flat sheet with pins sticking up) would be the way to go. But if quantities are low, I may just gear up to do them.

Thanks for the input. I will report back.

Cheers,

PaulC

Dear Shawn

I am intrigued at to what those parts actually are in detail, and especially the brand and model of vapourizer. As well as being an amateur machinist and a licensed steam locomotive engineer (Ontario TSSA Steam Traction Operator), I have been a veterinarian for 40 years and anesthetic machines are one of my special interests! I actually collect vapourizers and presently have 13 different ones dating from the pre- 1920's to "current issue" specimens. I do not recall ever having to replace any parts like that over the years in my practice although we send our vapourizers to a service company once every year and they do an internal cleaning and servicing so perhaps they do replace a part like this. Perhaps a brass one would be better than plastic as it would certainly last longer than a delrin one if there was any significant wearing effects. If you can tell me the make and model, and if I have one in my collection and can thus actually get a specimen of the part in question in my hand to look at and measure, I could certainly have a go at making one or two although I am not set up for production runs.

Let me know if I can help.

Paul

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dear Shawn

I am intrigued at to what those parts actually are in detail, and especially the brand and model of vapourizer. As well as being an amateur machinist and a licensed steam locomotive engineer (Ontario TSSA Steam Traction Operator), I have been a veterinarian for 40 years and anesthetic machines are one of my special interests! I actually collect vapourizers and presently have 13 different ones dating from the pre- 1920's to "current issue" specimens. I do not recall ever having to replace any parts like that over the years in my practice although we send our vapourizers to a service company once every year and they do an internal cleaning and servicing so perhaps they do replace a part like this. Perhaps a brass one would be better than plastic as it would certainly last longer than a delrin one if there was any significant wearing effects. If you can tell me the make and model, and if I have one in my collection and can thus actually get a specimen of the part in question in my hand to look at and measure, I could certainly have a go at making one or two although I am not set up for production runs.

Let me know if I can help.

Paul
Paul

I do not know the make of this particular one but I don't think it is a TEC3 or 5, nor a Drager vapourizer. Those are probably the ones you are most familiar with, although with a collection as you have, maybe others. Those ones, and the Ohmeda's are the ones I came across most often. (ie, ever) My friend might own the company that you sent them to. I don't think there are many companies in Canada that actually service vaps anymore. And I think some take them in, then send them my buddy's way anyways. He has some pretty sophisticated equipment to calibrate them. (Yes I am deliberately not mentioning his name)

I was a biomed in a hospital in a previous career, then, for years, provided biomed services for local vets and clinics, including anesthethic machines, in my side gig till I retired from it about 6 years ago. This part is apparently a recurring service item. The more I type and get input, the more thought I put into this. I think it is plastic so that if one was to try to force the dial without releasing the lock, then the plastic will break instead of damaging the housing. As you know, vaps are expensive!!!!!! So better a little plastic pin break than scoring the dial bearing surface. Therefore, brass would not be a good idea either. As I mentioned, not a critical item.

I can make them, but was wondering if they are better done in bulk by someone. From what @Degen says above, it might be better to cut than to print. I assumed the other way around so thought someone here might like a little gig printing bulk paks of these. But, I am still waiting for more info. It sounds like I might be making them....:rolleyes: I am sure the first 20 will be a novelty, then it might get old. At least I should not get into trouble parting off a 1/4" piece of plastic!

Thanks for the input. Nice to see a vet hanging around here. We have many talents on board!

Cheers,

This is an ideal part for someone with a screw machine. What you are manually doing on the lathe is a screw machine operation hence a little more tedious.