A really BIG gun.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
This is not by any means a real gun. It is a 1/2 scale replica of the British cannons used during the War of 1812. These cannons are situated here in my town and also across Ontario wherever strategic points are. I have done the scans last year and designed the model. The barrel on the 1/2 scale version is 65 inches long. I have the frame material in house ready to be cut on the router. That material is 2 inch thick HDPE which is UV protected and stress relieved. I have enough for 4 complete sets. Blank size is 2 feet x 4 feet which makes a LH and RH frame.

I will begin by showing the original scan data from which my model was created.

Attachments

• Cannon1.JPG
    Cannon1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Cannon2.JPG
    Cannon2.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 25

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What is the purpose of your modelling? In other words, what is the destiny of the models you are making?

I remember Amherstburg commissioned some full scale models 20 years ago, but they were made of wood - ironically mostly made by a welder a few neighbours down from me.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
What is the purpose of your modelling? In other words, what is the destiny of the models you are making?

I remember Amherstburg commissioned some full scale models 20 years ago, but they were made of wood - ironically mostly made by a welder a few neighbours down from me.
These are mainly for my own entertainment. It is a hobby. Advertising props. They will be for sale also. I have a long way to go. One will be on my lawn, along with period flags of both Great Britain and USA.

The ones all around town on a wood base were all cast by the Ford Motor Company. The ones I am copying are also cast by Ford, but were commissioned by Parks Canada. I went up to Meaford two years ago and saw the metal framed ones up there also. I would think they have them in Toronto and Kingston also. IN 2012, I had a bunch of 30 inch wood models. I still have most components done in storage. The model at that time was made from photographs. The scan model will be way more accurate.

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
When I read this title, I thought it was going to be about the Canadian project Babylon "BIG" gun by Gerald Bull (North Bay). I guess it was a bit too big. They did warn him.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
When I read this title, I thought it was going to be about the Canadian project Babylon "BIG" gun by Gerald Bull (North Bay). I guess it was a bit too big. They did warn him.
No explosives will be used in my "BIG GUN"s!!! They would melt, explode, and catch on fire before ever expelling a projectile. These are not going to be sold to the enemy. The technology is a copy of designs from over 200 years ago.... LOL nope,, Hope its not classified as a "Ghost Gun". They would be hard to hide at over 65 long x 12 diameter barrel.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am getting ready to 3D print much of this. The barrel is spit into 4 sections, about 20 in long for the longest. I have the frames already made from the router at work... First test of the Flashforge printers coming up.. go big or go home... Total length of assembled barrel is 62 inches.

Attachments

• assembled.JPG
    assembled.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 13

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bet you can translate that into some hefty income making lots more......

KeeponDragon

Super User
I would be interested in owning a full size cannon for signalling or other innocuous activities

if anyone happens to hear of one for sale on various markets, strictly for science purposes on metallurgy and machining wisdom
check out the mortar series of videos Mythbusters did. They built their own out of some 2 or 3 inch wall pipe.
can't be hard to scale that down right?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
check out the mortar series of videos Mythbusters did.

I'd personally be VERY LEERY of doing anything those Mythbusters guys did. Almost every episode I watched on TV was unscientific, and was either outright wrong or highly misleading.

KeeponDragon

Super User
I'm not sure where you're coming from on those comments...but everyone has an opinion these days
The construction of the mortar I mentioned was stout enough to withstand more than an average amount of propellant...and they started from a small amount to insure the thing didn't just explode where it stood. And that is what I took for merit enough to suggest it to chickenlights...
anyway...enough threadjacking

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure where you're coming from on those comments...but everyone has an opinion these days

So true. My opinion is that they are flakes. Entertainers, not experts. Black powder is dangerous stuff. I would not trust anything they did. Nothing more or less that. Certainly not aimed at you in any way. And certainly not meant to offend you.

The way I understand it is that black powder is an explosive, while regular smokeless powder is a propellant that burns. So the difference between safe and dangerous for black powder is a thin line not a pressure curve. You can't start with a small amount and work your way up like you would with regular gunpowder. It's more like walking off a cliff - every step is safe till it suddenly isn't. So using thick wall pipe and experimenting is a good way to get killed. I would not want that to happen to anyone here.

Yes, that's an opinion - only somewhat informed because I do shoot a muzzleloader. I am certainly not an expert. Neither are they. It would be very interesting to hear @CWret's opinion though. As I understand it, he is more of an expert about explosives than the rest of us combined.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Good stuff! What scanner did you use, and how was it? I was messing about with my Revo mini today, so far an expensive paper weight. :(

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The construction of the mortar I mentioned was stout enough to withstand more than an average amount of propellant...and they started from a small amount to insure the thing didn't just explode where it stood. And that is what I took for merit enough to suggest it to chickenlights...
anyway...enough threadjacking
There's a western member that uses a half pound per fire, but usually just to hear the bang. I don't think he loads it, with a projectile, usually

An eastern friend said 1 pound powder per pound of projectile, was common back in the day, if I remember right. It's fascinating that some people know how to load cannons....because you never know when that knowledge might be important, again

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A buddy and i bought an actual Israeli mortar tube some years ago. 60 mm IIRC, not that heavy. Of course missing the firing mechanism...... :)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes @Susquatch - i do know a thing or two about commercial explosives.
I also know enough about black powder and smokeless powder to know that I don’t know enough to mess with them.
If you want to demolition blast a concrete footing inside an operating steel mill or remove 600 cubic meters of rock in one shot that’s within 2 meters of the Rainbow bridge - done that, been there. If you want someone to design a smokeless powder/black powder/gun powder load for a mortar - well that’s NOT me!
I know that a mortar projectile can be sent flying by using: smokeless powder; black powder; or commercial explosives. The VOD (velocity of detonation) for these 3 products is directly proportional to their probability of blowing apart the mortar. The smokeless VOD is around the speed of sound (1116 ft/sec), black powder is about twice that and commercial explosives are 10 to 20 times that. (composition, density and confinement affect VOD for all three). The beauty of smokeless powder in a barrel (or mortar) is that it continues to deflagrate while the projectile continues to accelerate in the barrel. Therefore it’s more efficient and exerts lower peak pressure at the base of the barrel (chamber).

Knowledge and experience are wonderful things. As Susq said above “every step is safe till it suddenly isn't”. So I recommend that you ask someone like Susq for advice on: bench shooting; ammo propellants; gunsmithing; reload press; muzzle loading; or maybe even mortar loads. But I do know how to bench press (that’s the point, it has nothing to do with it and neither should I).

Israeli mortar tube some years ago. 60 mm IIRC, not that heavy.
This type of mortar is drastically different than a canon type mortar (like the one @Matt-Aburg started this thread with). The Israeli type of mortar is really a small rocket launcher. The tube only directs it and they operate like a bazooka. The propellant is not in the base of the mortar but is contained in the mortar shell as solid rocket fuel.

PS1: I’ve actually shot a canon using dynamite (high explosives) to propel a 3” diameter x 12” long piece of steel to loosen a wire rope cable wedge.
PS2: There are old bold mortar operators but no young bold mortar operators.
PS3: There is a job posting for a mortar operator. Requirement: must be willing to travel on EXTREMELY short notice.
PS4: Smokeless powder and black powder sit on the fence and are considered low explosives (Class 1.3D). The dividing line between deflagration and detonation is usually considered to be the speed of sound (their VOD).

Bandit

Super User
PS3, I take it may not arrive all at the same time, or be traveling in the same direction!
My cannon shooting/ firing has only been up to 3 inch and for fun, and I didn't leave any pieces (me) other where's.