A "quick" project

Proxule

Ultra Member
Yeah, so..... Maybe a bit longer than a quick project :D
So I have been at this little stationary engine for a little more then 200 hours! With help from folks from all over!

When I received this engine, it was truly a hunk of scrap, According to a fellow I come to consider my mentor ( Nathan K ), This is normal - normal. Considering this engine is from 1928 and the farmers that used them would have picked this up from the manf, or factory using a horse and buggy!

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A few thank you's!

John Conroy, for entertaining me with stories wile I / we used his very sexy milling machine! I seen the twinkle in his eyes when I asked for valve guide work and valve seat lapping! I appreciate your help and time!

Everett Falke, Endless armchair engineering / machining and lots of scrap metal and cast iron ( saved my butt with that clutch plate for the valve guides )

Nathan K, When I call he picks up the phone and talks my ear off regarding this and every thing else I ask - A walking stationary engine guru!

John. AKA Janger, Helped out with the wico EK mag capacitors, Much appreciated my friend!

Tom @ https://enginebarn.myshopify.com/ - for your small engine / stationary engine parts. If he doesn't have it, he will gladly direct you to some one who does, Arranged shipping to me from USA and assisted in every way possible, Over 35 emails worth, Hats off you Tom!

Bill @ https://enginads.com/starbolt/ An endless supply of parts for your ancient stationary engines. Honest and always willing to help!
When you call you get his direct residence!

Dave Reed, https://www.ringspacers.com/ for supplying the odd sized piston rings, spacers and WISDOM. Much appreciated!

Last but not least, shopdogsam - I have not had the pleasure of talking to him, but I watched every youtube video he had!
https://www.youtube.com/@shopdogsam/about - This guy is extraordinary, Simple as that!

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I have to the best of my abilities restored this engine to how it would of or should of ran when it was made. 1928 according to the serial number.

All rotating or sliding parts had to be either brazed and turned or milled down, or completely remade. Hardest part was getting dimensions from parts that were worn - A true guessing game.

Mid way through the project, I lost interest in documenting my steps. I ended up doing 6/8 + weeks worth of projects with out pictures !

I will let the pictures speak for them self's, as apposed to writing out a 5 page forum thread. Suffice to say no bolt was left untouched.
I am ready and willing to help any one who has a similar project. I also invite any one in the Edmonton area to come by for a viewing.

Any questions, or specifics, simply ask!

Thanks to all!

1928 IHC M 3 HP S/N BW24022
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rebuild Pictures <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
Please excuse my ignorance.

Is the pulsating load sound the cylinder firing? (approx 60 times a minute).

Proxule

Ultra Member
Please excuse my ignorance.

Is the pulsating load sound the cylinder firing? (approx 60 times a minute).
Hmmm. Different sounds for differnt folks !

Its ar about 500 rpm according to my laser tachometer.

There is a loud thud that correlates to the cylinder firing. You can faintly see the black smoke or puff every time it fires.

Thanks for posting.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Very nice job!

I've got an old Gilson that is pretty complete, but stuck, and another one who manufacture name escapes me atm. Some day, I'd love to restore the gilson and get it running. Some day I'd love to do a lot of things.......

Perry

Ultra Member
Hmmm. Different sounds for differnt folks !

There is a loud thud that correlates to the cylinder firing. You can faintly see the black smoke or puff every time it fires.

Thanks for posting.

I think I see the puff of smoke from the exhaust at approx the 00:42 mark on the video and it is in time with the loud pulse. (I see I had a typo in my first post.... loud...not load) .

Zoomed in on the data plate and seen the "Speed 600" Poor estimate on my part.....I was figuring one bang per second.

At 1:45 you touch a line(linkage?) and it seems to speed up. What is happening here?

You caught my interest with this. Oh, boy....another time black hole to fall into. lol

Thank you for replying.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have one of these aermotors sitting in the back of the shed. It ran but the crank bearings are totally shot as likely are some of the others. The plan was to pour new babbit bearings and generally fix it up. Haven't gotten there yet.
Here's an example of the engine.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Very very nice! I was so intrigued I watched the video. Beautiful!

It sounded slow for 500 to my calibrated engine ear. So I did a quick measurement and came up with about 250 rpm.

Assuming my video player is not running slow, I counted about 125 exhaust pops per minute (two per second). For a four stroke, that is 1 pop per 2 turns. Or 250 rpm. Is your laser tach double counting somehow?

What are you gunna do next? ;)

Proxule

Ultra Member
I think I see the puff of smoke from the exhaust at approx the 00:42 mark on the video and it is in time with the loud pulse. (I see I had a typo in my first post.... loud...not load) .

Zoomed in on the data plate and seen the "Speed 600" Poor estimate on my part.....I was figuring one bang per second.

At 1:45 you touch a line(linkage?) and it seems to speed up. What is happening here?

You caught my interest with this. Oh, boy....another time black hole to fall into. lol

Thank you for replying.
Aye the puff and loud report is the cylinder firing and going through its paces as a 4 stroke would or should.

I pull on the linkage that control the governor, If I had it loaded up the flywheel would slow down allowing the weights to call in towards the shaft and speed the engine up, but as it sits at idle it does nearly nothing to the gov choke plate is almost closed, Me pulling on that linkage opened up the plate and allowing in more fuel and speeding it up, as soon as I let go you can hear it pop and skip a bit because the plate is completely closed off as the gov springs reacted to the over speed.

Correct, its rated for 600 but I adjusted things to slow it down a bit, Its a thirsty engine - No fuel injection here lol

Finding these engines is hard, finding information and folks who you can rely on for information is even harder.

This black hole is fun though!
Lots to learn!

Proxule

Ultra Member
Very very nice! I was so intrigued I watched the video. Beautiful!

It sounded slow for 500 to my calibrated engine ear. So I did a quick measurement and came up with about 250 rpm.

Assuming my video player is not running slow, I counted about 125 exhaust pops per minute (two per second). For a four stroke, that is 1 pop per 2 turns. Or 250 rpm. Is your laser tach double counting somehow?

What are you gunna do next? ;)
It very well could be, I will run the rest again, I never thought of that. In my eyes the slower the better as a show piece. I can always adjust the gov and speed things up!

Not sure whats next, lol I have to check with my cheif mill operator John C :D

Proxule

Ultra Member
I have one of these aermotors sitting in the back of the shed. It ran but the crank bearings are totally shot as likely are some of the others. The plan was to pour new babbit bearings and generally fix it up. Haven't gotten there yet.
Here's an example of the engine.
Pour those babbits!!!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Wouldn’t a BRDM be wasted in Edmonton? Be much more useful at my place, probably faster than using Vancouver bridges during rush hour.

Having owned a 1944 CMP radio van, and a 1957 DKW MUNGA, I’m terrified to think how much restoring a BRDM would cost…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wouldn’t a BRDM be wasted in Edmonton? Be much more useful at my place, probably faster than using Vancouver bridges during rush hour.

Having owned a 1944 CMP radio van, and a 1957 DKW MUNGA, I’m terrified to think how much restoring a BRDM would cost…

My group did a defense project to build an amphibious personnel carrier after the war. We built a half dozen prototypes.

I've always fancied plowing my fields with an amphibious vehicle like that. But I want one with a 100mm gun on it. Just to soften up the dirt as may or may not be needed.....

The local ladies gossip committee would go wild!