• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9x20 lathe DRO or No?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Ditron seems to use FedEx. How do you broker yourself with FedEx? Can you point me to a description of how this works?
When you get a notice of shipping/tracking/brokerage assessment you contact the courier and tell them you will self broker and they hold the shipment from delivery when it arrives at their warehouse. Ask them to provide their waybill/manifest document for the shipment. Seems to me with DHL that was sent out as a result of declaring self-brokerage on line. I received an E-mail saying that I owed them brokerage fees and taxes and the shipment would not be released until they were paid or self clearance was done. When you click the link they E-mail you the manifest/waybill document. Probably the same with other couriers.

You take your commercial invoice from the seller and the waybill/manifest (2 copies each if I recall) to the local customs office (probably St Catherines and Fort Erie in your case) and pay the outstanding tax/duty and they give you a paper showing that the shipment has cleared customs and authorizing the courier to release it. You will need the courier tracking number so they can look up the shipment in their computer.

The CBSA document has to be presented at the courier office or scanned & E-mailed to them and they deliver the package.

The process is described on the page Importing goods for personal use by courier, scroll down to "Process to self account" and the steps are laid out.

One thing you must have is the commercial code for the type of good imported so they can look up the duty, make sure the seller puts that on your commercial invoice. It can be looked up on line at: Tariff Finder Page, DROs look like HS Code 9031.80. That page however doesn't have a listing for China so the tariff rate has to be found elsewhere, CBSA will do this anyway.

If you want to know ahead of time, go to Customs Tariff By Chapter and scroll down to Chapter 90 and click the pdf: Customs Tariff Schedule Document and scroll down to 9031.80 and see the value (0.0) under the MFN (Most Favored Nation) column so it's a "chase of an untamed ornithoid without cause".

The applicability of the MFN rate is according to Bookairfreight.com Web Page under the heading "Determine the rate of duty applicable to your goods" since "China does not have a trade agreement with Canada, so the tariff rate applicable to your product will only be the one listed in the ‘MFN Tariff’ column."

Last little nugget, the less helpful/less personable supervisor behind the plate glass got out of shape since the DHL paperwork showed the goods Port Of Entry to be Toronto whereas they were on the shelf, waiting for the delivery order at my local DHL depot according to their on-line link. She was miffed that the goods weren't quarantined at the POE so she wasn't certain where the goods were so they could send their inspector out to look at them and make sure what was in the package was what was on all the paperwork.

It didn't look good for a while, until the other, nice helpful young lady suggested she take the paperwork upstairs to look for a work-around! HST paid I walked out with the precious rubber stamp on my document! HST cost me under $20, I think the gov't lost money on the effort.

D:cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When you get a notice of shipping/tracking/brokerage assessment you contact the courier and tell them you will self broker and they hold the shipment from delivery when it arrives at their warehouse. Ask them to provide their waybill/manifest document for the shipment. Seems to me with DHL that was sent out as a result of declaring self-brokerage on line. I received an E-mail saying that I owed them brokerage fees and taxes and the shipment would not be released until they were paid or self clearance was done. When you click the link they E-mail you the manifest/waybill document. Probably the same with other couriers.

You take your commercial invoice from the seller and the waybill/manifest (2 copies each if I recall) to the local customs office (probably St Catherines and Fort Erie in your case) and pay the outstanding tax/duty and they give you a paper showing that the shipment has cleared customs and authorizing the courier to release it. You will need the courier tracking number so they can look up the shipment in their computer.

The CBSA document has to be presented at the courier office or scanned & E-mailed to them and they deliver the package.

The process is described on the page Importing goods for personal use by courier, scroll down to "Process to self account" and the steps are laid out.

One thing you must have is the commercial code for the type of good imported so they can look up the duty, make sure the seller puts that on your commercial invoice. It can be looked up on line at: Tariff Finder Page, DROs look like HS Code 9031.80. That page however doesn't have a listing for China so the tariff rate has to be found elsewhere, CBSA will do this anyway.

If you want to know ahead of time, go to Customs Tariff By Chapter and scroll down to Chapter 90 and click the pdf: Customs Tariff Schedule Document and scroll down to 9031.80 and see the value (0.0) under the MFN (Most Favored Nation) column so it's a "chase of an untamed ornithoid without cause".

The applicability of the MFN rate is according to Bookairfreight.com Web Page under the heading "Determine the rate of duty applicable to your goods" since "China does not have a trade agreement with Canada, so the tariff rate applicable to your product will only be the one listed in the ‘MFN Tariff’ column."

Last little nugget, the less helpful/less personable supervisor behind the plate glass got out of shape since the DHL paperwork showed the goods Port Of Entry to be Toronto whereas they were on the shelf, waiting for the delivery order at my local DHL depot according to their on-line link. She was miffed that the goods weren't quarantined at the POE so she wasn't certain where the goods were so they could send their inspector out to look at them and make sure what was in the package was what was on all the paperwork.

It didn't look good for a while, until the other, nice helpful young lady suggested she take the paperwork upstairs to look for a work-around! HST paid I walked out with the precious rubber stamp on my document! HST cost me under $20, I think the gov't lost money on the effort.

My closest POE is prolly Windsor or Sarnia - Both an hour away and both notoriously staffed by bad tempered sloths.

Given everything you describe in the process, I think I'd rather pay FedEx to do it for me. Two hours driving, two hours teaching a sloth to read, two hours of prep. Not worth it.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
My closest POE is prolly Windsor or Sarnia - Both an hour away and both notoriously staffed by bad tempered sloths.

Sorry, I was forgetting that you're at the other end of the lake so Windsor or Sarnia would be the closest.

The couriers do it on line why shouldn't we be able to? CBSA still processes the same paperwork and could still collect their cut.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Update: My scales have arrived and with them yet another twist in the courier/brokerage saga.

The scales shipped FedEx Air (this is important) from Ditron. I got a phone message Friday from FedEx telling me that I owed CDN tax plus fees of unspecified value. I had planned to self broker and spoke to a rep. on Friday (I think in the Philippines) and made arrangements for that including the assurance that they would send me the appropriate paperwork. I did not receive a breakdown from FedEx on their charges or all this could have been avoided - see below. I also did not receive the self broker paper from FedEx.

Today the packages arrived at the door with request for payment on the spot. Turns out though that apart from CDN tax, the fee they asked for was a nominal price of $10.00 plus BST tax so actually it wasn't worth the hassle to self broker so I paid up.

I called through to the CDN rep. (that's important) for FedEx and asked about the self brokerage getting waylaid, no clear explanation but he offered to waive the $10.00 fee plus tax so I have a cheque coming. He also told me that in the future just pay and then call them for a refund on the $10 plus tax. The alternative is to open an account with them with your credit card number and they will process the tax but without the $10 fee. OK so far.....

If you sign up for the account though their other courier company, FedEx Ground, different company (!) owned by the same parent, also has access to the credit card and their higher ground brokerage fees and tax will be applied automatically to GND shipments too. He said the best way around that was to not open an account and just call to get the fees cancelled.

It's never easy.

OK, the bottom line is packages sent via FedEx Air will cost you max $10 plus tax for brokerage so it's not worth the hassle to self broker those. I always thought things couriered by air included brokerage N/C but apparently not.

I now have some nice shiny scales to mount.....and I know more than I wanted to about how FedEx operates.

EDIT: I guess while I'm at it I should say a few words about the scales until I get around to starting a thread on the installs. I was surprised to find extruded aluminum shields and mounting brackets for the scales plus some pretty good instructions on mounting plus pinouts etc. Nice package!

D :cool:

Last edited: