• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

9 inch South Bend lathe South Ontario

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Given the CL770Z model number that's actually a 10K with large dials and the rather rare 4.5' bed. Missing the headstock cover also.
I very nearly bought one just like it when I was looking for my lathe.
If it's not clapped out it could be a reasonable buy for less than $1000.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The serial number on the one I was looking was 34298 and had an identical model number and name plate. It was a 1976-77 model.
No idea when SB was using Korean castings though.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Agree with under 1000 could be a good buy but I would like it to have a tailstock for that price or the 4.5ft bed will be of little use beyond about a foot from the headstock.

Finding a tailstock can add some $. Making your own would be a cool project but not a quick one (to make it accurate).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
South of the border that taper attachment will sell for over $500 US by itself.

Nah I see them on eBay starting at 200, and going to over 500. Some for SB 13 are over 300 USD on auction. Given the item weight and eBay fees factored in as well as it is not more desirable SB 13 but old SB 9A I think take home cut is more around 200CAD. Maybe max 250 CAD.

Lets just say that of the two SB 13s I had one had attachment but not working feed the other had no attachment and working feed. The one with feed sold for more. Also machinery dealer priced the one with feed but no attachment as more $. Attachment is nice to have but not a "big deal" - sort of like having extra chuck.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
There appears to be more demand for the 9s than the 13s, likely because it’s easy to fit them in basements and other small shops. Stripped down, one person can carry each piece. Generally a 9” will sell higher than a 13 just because of the demand.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There appears to be more demand for the 9s than the 13s, likely because it’s easy to fit them in basements and other small shops. Stripped down, one person can carry each piece. Generally a 9” will sell higher than a 13 just because of the demand.

I disagree - I just sold two about two months ago two SB 13s for around $2000 in AB. We are arguing about less then 1000 in ON - so maybe 1200 in AB at most. Thus SB 13 sells for far more $.

Also look at 2019 price thread - https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-9a-price-367641/

You see in mint condition SB 9a is worth about 1000 USD in same geographical area - i.e. about 1300 CAD - so what we have on pictures is at most 1000 CAD. On auction SB 9a in the same geographical area went for - with fees less then 800 CAD in 2019.

I also would never pay even close the money for 9a as for a 13 - 13 can be moved to a downstairs shop (total weight of the machine is around 1300 lbs) but is head and shoulders better machine then a 9a - its in fact two steps ahead - you have 9a then 10 heavy then 13.