Don't know if that's a deal but maybe someone from Sask is looking for a shaper

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
273173823_4696946970412695_1782153905021938290_n.jpg

Reford No 379, SK

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Feels overpriced - but then again, maybe prices went so far up for shapers? I would guess $1500... but maybe prices went up and I did not notice it?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feels overpriced - but then again, maybe prices went so far up for shapers? I would guess $1500... but maybe prices went up and I did not notice it?

I felt that the same, but really have no idea, I've never looked at shapers, not really my thing

I would think with such a small market for those things that the buyer would more or less dictate the price....but maybe there are more guys looking for them than I can imagins

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Reford No 379, SK

The condition is 'good', I'd say 1500$ is generous. I think the market has gone up, but I feel it will surely normalize again. If someone really, really wants it, then 2500 is a lot, but it is working and tooled up.

Just 14 months ago I bought a 14" shaper for 750$, and that felt about right. I'm not bragging about the deal - I needed to illustrate that the current price point might be a blip in the bigger scheme of things.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Reford No 379, SK

The condition is 'good', I'd say 1500$ is generous. I think the market has gone up, but I feel it will surely normalize again. If someone really, really wants it, then 2500 is a lot, but it is working and tooled up.

Just 14 months ago I bought a 14" shaper for 750$, and that felt about right. I'm not bragging about the deal - I needed to illustrate that the current price point might be a blip in the bigger scheme of things.

$750 was a smoking deal, I paid 2x as much for mine of about the same size and that was like 2 or 3 years ago!

Shaper prices are going up and up. There are no more shapers made & more people wanting to get them - so they only direction is up. I expect a nice 14" to cost at least $2000 in today's market. Hence why an ok 7" feels right at 1500. Maybe very good shape 7" could get to 2500.

deleted_user

Super User
I am contemplating selling my SB 7". Its in way better shape than that, has been restored. I need to get $2500 for it.

View attachment 20612
That is a nice looking machine... I was tempted to say cute even, but my brother is biased against shapers for some reason. I've wanted to buy many as low as $500 a few times but told it lacks the utility of a mill. Then again I had the same thing with horizontal mills...

Myself, I appreciate the form and design

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Funny fact about shapers not being made....if you could get one shipped here they are available brand new on Alibaba, I was surprised when I searched for the price of a shaper out of curiosity

deleted_user

Super User
Funny fact about shapers not being made....if you could get one shipped here they are available brand new on Alibaba, I was surprised when I searched for the price of a shaper out of curiosity
Yep I've seen them while searching taiwanese machine tool manufacturers

TS-36B(7).jpg

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

Let me re-phase, they are not made in America and Europe but they are made in India (maybe Pakistan) and I see China.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Doable, its only 3.5" long. I did it. Heck I have a video.

So totally doable. May be a workout. But doable. Also maybe touch of machine abuse.
Very doable, but on the shaper I don't think it took 2 minutes to cut it after setup.

And yes, a bit abusive.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
What you need is a @Brent H tete sloter switch defecteuse :p

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Most of us like them because they are cute.

European ones are still made as 'gear shapers' They do the job with cheaper tooling and faster than hobbers for roughing out gears. they are finished on hobbers or gear grinders (or CNC grinders fro the really special ones)

1643853573990.png