• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

.5hp-1hp 220v 1ph to 3ph VFD suggestions?

While I'd love a TECO, my piggybank is broke after I bought a 9" SM Utilathe, so I need a recommendation for a .5 to 1hp 220v 1ph to 3ph VFD to run my new toy on.

Tons of options on Amazon, but I wouldnt mind hearing from someone with a good experience with a specific model.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got one of these on the shelf:

.75 HP baldor TEFC single phase. Right shaft size I think and is just a little bigger than the 1/3hp 3ph thats in the lathe now.

Im worried that a 3/4hp motor is too big for this little lathe however.

Last edited:
I guess thats a win?

I'll need to figure out the reversible wiring of course. ;).

EDIT; and figure out the threaded backplate 'clamping' so I can use it in reverse!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I guess thats a win?

I'll need to figure out the reversible wiring of course. ;).

EDIT; and figure out the threaded backplate 'clamping' so I can use it in reverse!

Not sure I'd go that route. If the stand controls are all wired up for 3 PH, I think I'd just stick a VFD on it and not putz with re-engineer the wiring. Does the stand have a FWD/REV control on it?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I have the same style that dppittman has, the beige 2.2kw one, hasn't exploded yet, lots of settings a guy can tweek, you can get them for right around 100$ if you keep an eye out

Reverse wiring is a cinch with a VFD, just 3 low voltage wires to the vfd and the switch you already have (one back, one forward and a +5v) a quick setting change and it's done

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Reverse wiring is a cinch with a VFD, just 3 low voltage wires to the vfd and the switch you already have (one back, one forward and a +5v) a quick setting change and it's done

His lathe already has a 3 PH motor wired with FWD/REV in the stand all's he needs is 220V 1 PH to 3 PH conversion.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score on the lathe Chris!

For sure use the panel mounted controls as low voltage inputs to the VFD. The motor needs to be connected directly to the VFD motor output - without any electronics in between. The VFD needs to see what the motor is doing - both for control and protection.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When adding a vfd to the machine, the line voltage goes directly to the VFD, the outputs of the VFD go directly to the motor, and as Rudy says, the machine controls tell the VFD what to do