• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4X Standard Modern lathes -- Peterborough, ON

trlvn

Ultra Member
@Rauce posted about these in another thread but I thought there might be enough interest to separate.

The school board in the Peterborough area has 4 lathes up for auction, ending May 3, 2022. Three appear to be 11X20 and one looks to be 12X30:

'Yellow'
5607_901_1-1.jpg

'Red'
5607_900_5-1.jpg

'Blue'
5607_897_1-1.jpg

'Green' 12X30
5607_898_1-1.jpg

Apparently these are all 208V 3 phase machines so excellent candidates for variable speed via a VFD.

Unfortunately, there is NO preview available.

These listings were only posted a few days ago and already there have been 170+ visits to the listing pages. Maybe there will be a surprise but I would not expect these to go cheap.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
What sucks @trlvn is that they have a mixed bag of tooling/attachments under them. The yellow one has a dividing head and the green one looks to have the Uber rare steady and follow rest, but may also have parts and pieces for the other lathes
I could see a re-seller nabbing them all as a one time lot. Could be 4 well kitted lathes there.

Blouin55

Michel
@Rauce posted about these in another thread but I thought there might be enough interest to separate.

The school board in the Peterborough area has 4 lathes up for auction, ending May 3, 2022. Three appear to be 11X20 and one looks to be 12X30:

'Yellow'
5607_901_1-1.jpg

'Red'
5607_900_5-1.jpg

'Blue'
5607_897_1-1.jpg

'Green' 12X30
5607_898_1-1.jpg

Apparently these are all 208V 3 phase machines so excellent candidates for variable speed via a VFD.

Unfortunately, there is NO preview available.

These listings were only posted a few days ago and already there have been 170+ visits to the listing pages. Maybe there will be a surprise but I would not expect these to go cheap.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Here is the manual - I will check a couple other ones I have as well and see if there are any better spec's included

Attachments

• 1120 Series 2000 SM Lathe Manual.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 5

trlvn

Ultra Member
Final selling prices, HST and Buyers Premium included:

Yellow - $2,345

Red - $1,928

Blue - $1,955

Green - $1,809

All those are on the low end of what I expected although with few pictures and no opportunity for a preview, bidding more would have been a heck of a gamble. Green's price seems especially low given that it was the only 12X30 machine and the pictures show some accessories. If Yellow really included a (functional?) dividing head, that would account for the premium compared to the others.

BTW, it appears that a different bidder won each of the lots. Did any members here get involved?

I'm now having a bit of 'non-bidders remorse' but having Covid and making a 340 km round trip to wrestle a new machine home just wasn't in the cards. ;)

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
@trlvn : I think that given the sort of "mystery box" status of the lathes that they went for a "fair" price. So hard to tell from the pictures.

The 12" showed what it had to offer with accessories - it also seemed to have been "picked over" with respect to all the missing knobs, the lead screw looked a bit sketchy from the pics and - if you take the cast iron base into account - may be pretty old compared to the other ones. You could, however, sell the accessories for what the lathe costs to the right buyer.

The Red and Blue ones - hard to say - what was in the cabinets? Could have been a gold mine or the accessories for the red were joined in with the blue and the red buyer got screwed or vise versa - lots to gamble

Yellow one - yep, if the dividing head was complete and functional! - but did anything else come with it? can't use the dividing head easily on the lathe....LOL