• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4" Milling Vise

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If there’s no income there’s nothing to claim so filing would be a snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can get a trade name and never use it. if you make any income using your trade name, be sure to claim it.

For the last 5 years I had my business, it had no income. Holding companies seldom ever have income.

trlvn

Ultra Member
As an unincorporated business in Canada, there is no separate income tax return--it is just a schedule to add to your personal T1 return. And the schedule need not be filed if you have no expectation of income from the business.

Craig

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I wasn't expecting any lessons on business but thanks to all for the info. I'm undecided as to whether or not to give then a name of some sort or just file it in the round cabinet. If they let themselves be faked out so easy then why bother with the "business to business" policy (rhetorical question).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Business to business policy may be related to minimum purchase at places that sell bolts. You don't really want someone wanting to buy $1 of goods as that sale may cost you more then what you are making.

They are signaling they are not into retail trade - were pp buy low quantities of diverse stuff - something they may have a loss on.

This is similar to how a small grocery store would buy stuff from local distributor - that distributor sells only to business as it sell large quantities in bulk. At least in Europe it is possible to buy as an individual from such a distributor when you have a large order - say you are making a lot of wine and need 200kg of sugar. Most distributors in EU would not have a problem with you a non business buying such bulk amount. Same with say grapes for your wine or apples - you can go directly to the grower - he or she will not bother if you want 1kg and point you to a store - but for 200kg they will offer you a deal.

Heck in BC after apple harvest you can buy crates of apples for next to nothing - lowest quantity is like 20kg or something. Obviously if you asked for 200kg or 2000kg your price would drop a lot per kg.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The other aspect is that these vendors expect to deal with professionals, and don't have the staff that can answer technical questions. Acklands expects you to know exactly what you want, and for the most part, what it is called (and sometimes the brand too!)

So the downside is that you have to do research and order what you want, and the return policy if it isn't right is either non-existent or a bad deal for the buyer. That's the reason for asking if you are a business. This isn't sleight of hand, or being arbitrary, it is just good business.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You can operate as a non-incorporated business under a trade name or under your own name, GST number or not. And just to be clear, your GST number is your own business, and is not normally disclosed to any 3rd party. Just you and CRA.

Actually John your gst number is usually printed on receipts and invoices. Grab one out of your wallet. This is because if you’re buying and selling stuff then there are Gst credits to claim and Gst tax to pay. All this gets looked at by the cra.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Ah. I was never asked for my GST number for the duration of my business! I was referring to the filing number (brain fart - sorry!)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Back to vises. Saw this in Kbc flyer.

Attachments

• 1F432A66-1E88-4697-A8A2-B89653C03D55.jpeg
    1F432A66-1E88-4697-A8A2-B89653C03D55.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Looks like standard cheap stuff from China. I have a small 2" angle vise that came with Tool cutter and grinder. https://www.busybeetools.com/products/vise-3-way-tilting-super-precision-2in.html#tab-related

It is a specialty item - even in larger sizes it will not be sturdy and its design allows for jaw lift with heavier clamping (its not a Kurt clone design). I say its main use would be for light milling where parts have to be frequently at an angle. I would not pick it up as my primary vise. Most pp including myself remove or never get a swivel base with their milling vise to make it more sturdy.

Also the ability to tilt means it is quite high of the table as compared to the same vise without tilt and swivel base.

Here is Grizzly version on amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-G7066...?keywords=tilting+vise&qid=1581013146&sr=8-13

Here is Grizzly without warranty brand - aka Woodstock - https://www.amazon.ca/Woodstock-D41...?keywords=tilting+vise&qid=1581013252&sr=8-12

* note first bad 1 star review *

Note the review is from home shop user - see discussion here -
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tilting-vise.23161/

So here is review:

"Forget about using a set of parallels in this vise because the machined bed doesn't extend to the stationary jaw before it drops off. There are huge flaws in the casting. The tilt arches on the upper portion are so uneven, you can stand 6 feet away and see that one is only thick enough to ride on half of it's bed, while the other one covers it's bed completely.

Anyone using the word "precision" while referring to this vise had better watch out that God doesn't strike them down with lightening. Exceptionally bad Chinese junk. I didn't expect miracles for this price, but oh my GOD...this thing looks like it was put together by a kindergarten art class."

Note KBC vise is the same vise as Grizzly / Woodstock / etc as per pics.

I have not came across tilting vises from reputable makers - no tilting Kurt vises for example. The best is Wilton. It feels that tilting table is preferred solution or using adjustable angle blocks of different designs that you clamp into Kurt. Heck pp even just clamp another smaller tool makers vise into Kurt and set precision angle with a sine bar or angle blocks (that is what I do or do angle blocks and part alone).

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I purchased one of them for my T&CG as well. As Tom said, not the most sturdy thing on the planet, BUT, to set-up compound angles to grind specialty lathe and other cutters, plenty good enough. Sure beats trying to eyeball the angles freehand on a bench grinder...

For me it as temporary solution until I find a ”real” compound (universal) vice like a KO Lee, Clarkson, Cincinnati, etc.

Like one of these... (universal vice is on the right side of the grinding head in this pic)
B4A2A105-930C-486E-8651-5EFB37D2153F.jpeg