• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

4" Milling Vise

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I tried to buy this vice but Acklands has changed their policies and now only sells "business to business" As I'm not a business they won't sell to me so if anyone with a business is looking for a new vice, apparently there is one left in Canada. Or if someone in Victoria would order it for me that would be appreciated otherwise I think someone will get a decent little vice.
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/VISE-PRECISION-MILLING-4IN/p/WSWV4PM
Mike

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I deal with Acklands Granger all the time. FYI it costs 20$ in Alberta to register a forever Trade Name. I just give them that trade name and all is good. I only deal with them via personal credit card (Okay, a few time cash, for smaller purchases).

Before I had a company I just gave them the name of a company I was working for. That's what the manager in the SE Calgary suggested to me - 'it's just a silly rule' he said.

I'm not a person that tolerates deception in any way - but if the Manager suggests it, then it has to be so. I have since shut down my company but will still use my Trade Name forever.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I never asked what they require to register, I just got pissed off, said thank you, hung up and took them out of my contacts.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I was about to register and noticed that straight away they ask for business name... Hmm R8 Enterprises? Hmmm I best think about this a bit.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was going to say it looks like a lot of generic mill vises out there, but that swiveling jaw feature is kind of unique. I've seen some grossly over-marked-up stuff at Acklands, not always but sometimes. Enough that I don't bother even looking anymore & I recall the same company name runaround BS several years back. Its fine if they just want to jot something down on a receipt or give customers the option of personal or business. Good luck.

ps - are you picking up or getting shipped? If shipped I'd suggest getting a quote, that's another area they play $$ games.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If all they want is a name then it's doable. If they want a tax number or purchase order or something like that then you're hooped.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This sounds like signing up for Canada Post Business Account. No where in that process were you were required to prove you had a business licence? How does that work?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I "was" going to pick it up at the local store. They're pricing reminds me of Lordco - the discount brings it down to the same price as everybody else. To me 45lbs sound a bit heavy for a 4" vice, I guess once it's on the table who cares about the weight.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'm not running one yet. I'd like to find a little Enco or Jet knee mill, a baby BP. HF has a little knee mill but I'll just bide my time, not in a hurry.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On the purchase order front I always use the year 2 digits, month 2 digits and 01. I write it down (Don't have a smart phone), and then they process it. The PO# is their way to track the order and it is a great idea.

There are no tax numbers. Your Federal filing number (RT number) is confidential, and no one but you is supposed to know it. I haven't been asked for a tax number in 30 years.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If I remember correctly you can operate as sole proprietor under your own name. "You may choose to register a business name or operate under your own name or both." "As a sole proprietor, you may be required to register for the goods and services tax" - "You have 29 days from the time that your revenues reached $30,000 to register with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) so that you can charge GST"

So you can easily operate a business as yourself without registering for anything - it just has to be small business.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can operate as a non-incorporated business under a trade name or under your own name, GST number or not. And just to be clear, your GST number is your own business, and is not normally disclosed to any 3rd party. Just you and CRA.