• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

4 jaw lathe chuck

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm looking for suggestions for a 4 jaw (independent) chuck for my 10"x18" Craftex B2227L lathe.

Size suggestions and possible suppliers. Don't need a Kurt chuck (you know what I mean) but would like it to go around a central axis reasonably well.

Thanks!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What does the lathe have for a spindle nose? That will influence the chuck if its integrated or if a backplate adapter is required

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What does the lathe have for a spindle nose? That will influence the chuck if its integrated or if a backplate adapter is required
Backplate is needed. Typical Chinese import style. Can't find the specs in the manual. (of course)

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is information on sizes in this thread for the b2227l.
I have been looking for one as well for my b2227L I was looking at both the 5 and 6 inch at BB they were the same price, banggood has a 4 jaw independent but they haven't had stock in a long while they also have a self centering but I I think a person wants a independent there are tons on aliexpress but shipping is pricey.
Collet Chuck information | Canadian Hobby Metal Workers & Machinists

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
These are from post #49 of the link I posted.
Its a 3 bolt from the back and most chucks are 4 holes thus the need for the backplate.
Even the ones you get from BB need a backplate.
1630871821668.png

1630871854234.png

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yep. That's what I have.

Does the 5" 4 jaw chuck from BB include the backing plate? Or is it a piece you have to order separately? That's what I think you are saying Mr. Herbage. ;o)

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No its separate I believe bb sells them as well, my plan is to make my own there is also people selling backing plates on ebay and ali express. The point was that not very many 3 bolt options out there that I could find.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
No its separate I believe bb sells them as well, my plan is to make my own there is also people selling backing plates on ebay and ali express. The point was that not very many 3 bolt options out there that I could find.

Boy..... that's a very deceiving description on BB's part. And looking at the LMS chuck specs the 4J's are 4 bolt. As I recollect the 4J I got for my my 7X12 was setup for 3 or 4 bolts or maybe that was the spindle mount plate I'm thinking of?

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As far as I can tell, this is the adapter for the lathe indicated by the model of the chuck.
https://www.busybeetools.com/products/face-plate-for-cx708.html

Perhaps it comes with the adapter for the older lathe. Because of the confusion, I would really suggest giving your local Busy Bee a call and asking. I have usually found them to be very helpful. I just wish I had one closer.
I was thinking of giving them a call tomorrow. Best to talk to someone and see what is and isn't included.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My lathe is a D1-5. It isn't the most popular size around. So I've had to adapt various work holders to it. I've had pretty good success making my own backplates and adapters usually by buying and modifying an existing one. For example getting a bigger one and making it smaller. Or modifying an existing D1-5 backplate to fit whatever I need. The biggest problem has always been the mounting holes. I'm hoping a DRO on one of my mills will improve that process.