• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3d slicers - are there any with better object level print control

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've only used the one slicer Prusa Slicer other than looking at the bambu slicer a few times. I'm wondering if there are other slicers with better control over print parameters when you are printing multiple objects simultaneously. For example I want to print a drive coupler with 100% perimeters and full infill and at the same time print a motor mount which only needs 4 perimeters and maybe a 20% infill. To do that I have to print the first part in one session and the second part in another. Is there another slicer which provides this level of control?

1679784122756-png.32761

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I've only used the one slicer Prusa Slicer other than looking at the bambu slicer a few times. I'm wondering if there are other slicers with better control over print parameters when you are printing multiple objects simultaneously. For example I want to print a drive coupler with 100% perimeters and full infill and at the same time print a motor mount which only needs 4 perimeters and maybe a 20% infill. To do that I have to print the first part in one session and the second part in another. Is there another slicer which provides this level of control?

1679784122756-png.32761
Curious as to why not just print each piece separately? I don't think you save any time doing simultaneous prints because of the increased print head travel time and there is much more risk if one of the prints fails.
Actually it looks like you can do this in Cura.
Cura is the slicer I use the most and I'm happy with it. Just learned it can separate a multi part print into individual objects as well with the proper extension.

Tom O

Ultra Member
It must be possible I would think, can it be treated the same as printing with a 2 headed printer? You would have control of the fills.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
unless the pieces are drastically different heights (and that can be worked around with part placement) your much better off to print them one at a time, its faster, the layer adhesion is better and they turn out nicer

there is an option in cura to "print simultaneously" or "one at a time", the latter will print the second part in the same print event, just one after the other, im sure Prussia slicer has the same, im not sure how to make them have different print qualities, however i do believe there is a way

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
As phaxtris said, Cura can do it. I thought Prusa slicer could do it too, and much more? I've settled on Cura for the past couple years, but was curious about trying Prusaslicer as I thought it offered much better control over a lot of details like this.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Omg RTFB thanks @gerritv

Well at least we’re discussing it.

I want to print multiple parts so I can setup a number of jobs and walk away and let it run. I don’t think it’s particularly risky with PETG. I generally have little trouble printing that filament. I find the sneaker net steps to slice the file, to go down to the basement, clean the print bed, get it going blah blah, just aggravating. I’d rather do it once if possible. If I’m printing a mix of small and large parts I’ll pause the job and pull the small parts off and then let the rest run. Recently I was printing 4 parts at once. 2 couplers, 1 knob, and a motor mount.

Polycarbonate is much harder to print with particularly with a larger print like this motor mount - I have not had a successful print of the motor mount with PC yet. It shrinks and pulls off the bed. Maybe I need an enclosure.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i also like to load up the build plate, let it run for 20 hours and come back to all of my parts

i print small and large items one at a time in the same print sequence by being aware of where the gantry arm is, placing items front to back, keeping similar sized items grouped together left to right, that way the gantry arm is always going away from the last printed item for the next printed item. This way you dont have to go down and pop parts off the plate, i do a lot of my printing when im either sleeping, or at work, set it up before i leave or before i go to bed, as hands off as possible

now if i could get my second printer to print reliably it would really be able to pump the parts out

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Polycarbonate is much harder to print with particularly with a larger print like this motor mount - I have not had a successful print of the motor mount with PC yet. It shrinks and pulls off the bed. Maybe I need an enclosure.
Yes. You need an enclosure if you want to reliably print anything above PLA.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@gerritv I'm going to move your post to the ELS discussion.

I've learned about 3 good features in the Prusa slicer. First is the alpha 2.6 version supports adding embossed text. Should be useful.
1679850974846.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Second, you can hit a button and the pick a face on the model to put down on the bed. Easier than selecting the axis and typing an angle to flip.

1679851223112.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Third, paint on supports. Various automatic features and different brushes let you quickly indicate where you want supports. This 'triangle' brush lets you select the triangles in the stl file making it very quick and accurate. Click and drag to select a bunch of triangles like on the top of the round holes.

1679851399108.png

1679852022497.png

Last edited: