• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3D Printer Recommendations

GlenG

Glen
I'm looking for any recommendations for a starter Printer? Just looking to play with something but would like something around a 9" (230mm) bed. Maybe something that could be upgraded later to a second nozzle (is that possible)? Oh yes and cheap, but seriously I'd like to keep it under $400-500'sh range.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm looking for any recommendations for a starter Printer? Just looking to play with something but would like something around a 9" (230mm) bed. Maybe something that could be upgraded later to a second nozzle (is that possible)? Oh yes and cheap, but seriously I'd like to keep it under $400-500'sh range.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

I've asked this same question earlier. But I never pulled the plug at the time. Things have changed since I asked.

I had settled on an Ender Pro till I saw that they had been upgraded. Now, I'm not sure what to do. Gratefully, I have too much on my plate right now anyway.

I'll be following the current advice you get.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have an ender 3 pro I bought used, its given me an education but glad I did taught be lots about 3d printing. I didn't want to spend alot if I wouldn't use it. I find I use it sporadically where I use it lots for a month or so then run out of projects and forget about it for months till another project or two pops up. Seeing what I got and have done with a used one I would have no problems buying a new one if this one tanks.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have a piece of crap 3D printer bought many years ago for $240 including fedex shipping from Hong Kong. I also bought a Delta type printer for about $500. It's never been used because it's just so bad... I even tried upgrading it with a BeagleBone Black and Replicape. One of the drivers didn't work on the Replicape and the touch screen was also crap. The designer no longer provides service.

At this point the https://buyindustrial.ca/3D/creality-ender-3-v2-3d-printer appear to be a pretty good price and have good rating.

I really don't know what I'd buy to replace mine at the moment. This was my first stab at 3D printing back in 2014. Too much mass to move around to create decent prints.
ExtruderOnJGRO.jpg

So this is what I have with a few modifications.
FirstPrint-1.jpg
I added an insulating blanket underneath the heated bed so more heat would go up. I added a glass cover instead of tape. The print on the bed is a fan shroud that bolts to the controller and has old PC fans which keeps the drivers cool so I haven't had any failures there.

And the most important addition was a Raspberry Pi2 running OctoPi so that I can work with it from a web browser for remote control and even with a camera for remote monitoring.

PID_Working.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
ender 3's are really popular and cheap

i have an anycubic mega x, was about 100$ more from china than an ender 3 but has been problem free for 4 spools

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
After buying that Delta type POS printer (yes POS stands for Piece of S$%&t) a number of years ago I'm not that eager to spend money again in this area. Although the resin type really does intrigue me. And I have a kiln that can be used for melting out plastic and bringing up the plaster canister up to a decent temperature for pouring. And I have done bronze.

So many projects. So little time...

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I have purchased two BIQU B1's and have been very happy with them. One for home use originally, and then my workplace was looking for a recomendation so I bought a second for work. They are cheaper then the Ender 3 V2, but have a few extra quailty-of-life features that make them a easier to use.

There is very little assembly out of the box, but I will say that both the B1's I dealt with had some minor troubleshooting involved to get them to work properly. If this is your very first FDM printer then those could be quite challenging to deal with, but if not I'd say they are definitely the best bang for the buck. You can get the printer and additional BLTouch probe (which I'd definitely recommend!), and some filament off amazon for less than $500.

Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Yeah Prusa’s are great and are sort of the grand-daddy of hobby grade printers, and would probably be the best bet if you are not interested in tinkering/upgrading your printer at all. If you just want the printer to make parts with the least amount of hassle, they’d probably be the best bet.

They sell the printer as a DIY type assembly kit or pre-assembled for a few hundred more. I think the DIY kit takes about 4-6 hours to assemble. If the prusa is in the budget I’d say go for it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
or pre-assembled for a few hundred more. I think the DIY kit takes about 4-6 hours to assemble.

I remember buying a Purple Martin Bird House that had to be assembled. They wanted an extra 25 bucks to do it for you at the time. If I had just taken a few minutes to count the number of screws and nuts in that bad boy, I'd have paid the kid at TSC hardware (Now Peavey Mary) 4x that to do it for me, and given him a fat tip to do it right too!

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
About to pull the trigger on an Ender 3 Pro. Should I get the filament drier too?
If you are in humid location it may be worth it. I've never needed it printing pla in Saskatchewan but have used my wife's food dehydrater once for nylon.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yes. Get one. What happens with the PLA filament is that as it absorbs moisture it becomes brittle. For example, you buy 7 colours. You use 1/10 of the translucent clear that made nice LED lens caps for the machine tool controller. Then for the next few months you don't use that one.
Next time you put it in it keeps snapping off just after the print starts. Put it in the drier the night before and problem gone.
Don't ask me how I know...