• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3d printed switchable magnet

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

All credit for the idea goes to Andrew Klein.

A couple years ago when I first watched that video I ordered a bunch of 6mm diax6mm long rare earth magnets to make some small switchable mag bases..... This morning while finishing another unrelated project (fluid bed for powder coating) I found those magnets.....Well, I'm snowed in and home alone with the kids today, and blew my knee up this week, so I'm looking for some easy projects to chew through around the house and decided to have a go at it....

Some quick cad work, and some turning and facing to length of some 6mm dia x 0.375" stock, and one 1/2" dia x 0.75" steel while the 3d printer did it's thing, and about 2hrs later I have a working prototype. Knowing it actually works, and has decent holding strength (for it's size), I will now design a better, more usable housing for it, and machine it from aluminum. When I'll get to that part is anybodies guess.....But it was a fun way to pass some time with the kids today.

LVPcumsl.jpg

Magnets get inserted into the radial holes in alternating poles. They get sandwiched between the axial pieces of steel.
0gXW1Jwl.jpg

6mm steel pieces only go through one holder, while the 1/2" piece goes through both.
tlpA8s5l.jpg

A quick test on the fridge and yep, it's a magnet. I didn't take a picture of it on the fridge while turned off because it fell off....
PACQddvl.jpg

deleted_user

Super User

All credit for the idea goes to Andrew Klein.

A couple years ago when I first watched that video I ordered a bunch of 6mm diax6mm long rare earth magnets to make some small switchable mag bases..... This morning while finishing another unrelated project (fluid bed for powder coating) I found those magnets.....Well, I'm snowed in and home alone with the kids today, and blew my knee up this week, so I'm looking for some easy projects to chew through around the house and decided to have a go at it....

Some quick cad work, and some turning and facing to length of some 6mm dia x 0.375" stock, and one 1/2" dia x 0.75" steel while the 3d printer did it's thing, and about 2hrs later I have a working prototype. Knowing it actually works, and has decent holding strength (for it's size), I will now design a better, more usable housing for it, and machine it from aluminum. When I'll get to that part is anybodies guess.....But it was a fun way to pass some time with the kids today.

LVPcumsl.jpg

Magnets get inserted into the radial holes in alternating poles. They get sandwiched between the axial pieces of steel.
0gXW1Jwl.jpg

6mm steel pieces only go through one holder, while the 1/2" piece goes through both.
tlpA8s5l.jpg

A quick test on the fridge and yep, it's a magnet. I didn't take a picture of it on the fridge while turned off because it fell off....
PACQddvl.jpg
Huh, I actually paid for his template for plywood but never made one.

Now that I have 3D printer though I shall make some