• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3D Mouse Recommendations

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One of the things I liked about dedicated CAD Workstations was the input devices.

I've got a hankering to try a 3D Mouse with Fusion. I've seen a few comments on the Forum and elsewhere on the Web, but nothing beats recommendations from folks you know.

I may get a chance to test fly a mouse or two in an upcoming member visit, but it would be good to know what to look for and what to look out for too.

So I'd be interested in hearing what members might recommend and why. Please share your experiences here - both good and bad. Love to hear them!

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I have a spacemouse, and It is definitely a high quality product that is worth the money if you do a tonne of CAD. During my internship, I had to make technical drawings and clean up an assembly in SolidWorks that had several thousand parts in it. I think 90% of the benefit of the spacemouse is to be had if you are working in large assemblies, as it makes mating parts extremely fast. The other 10% of the benefit is when you are presenting a CAD model to a client or maybe even your manager. You can kind of smoothly 'fly' through your part-space so it makes the viewing experience much smoother and less jerky. It makes the reviewing experience feel a bit more professional, you know?

Now that I use CAD less frequently and the parts I make are relatively simple and not in huge assemblies, it's been sitting in a drawer for a while.

EDIT: I have the spacemouse Pro which has a bunch of extra programmable hotkeys. This pairs extremely well with Solidworks, and I would guess that solidworks users are their primary audience. I know it can be used with Fusion, but I haven't tried it yet.

gerritv

Gerrit
I have a Spacemouse, absolutely love it. Takes a bit to get used to using left hand for it, right hand for regular mouse. For right mouse I now have a CAD mouse, also from 3Dconnexion. Buy both at one time, saves money (ask me how I know ). the big advantage to me is being able to zoom and rotate easily, esp. useful for building assemblies on the fly.
https://www.3dmouse.ca/ is where I bought mine

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Spacemouse for me too, purchased through @gerritv link. Nice build quality & its really designed wit CAD in mind. Of course outside of CAD it operates like regular mouse too, but the customization setup means you can still program buttons or wheels to do whatever you want within specific apps. I have my buttons set up to invoke Views, Measurement tool, Wireframe/Shade toggle...things I use a lot over & above rotating & zooming around. Initially the 'ergonomic' shape took me some getting used to but that was coming off a boring MS mouse that my muscle memory wouldn't let go of. I initially tried their smaller version, didn't like it as much & returned for the regular? bigger version. I've heard their Bluetooth is very good but I opted for wire. It doesn't bother me to have a wire, but any amount of lag or glitch behavior drives me mental.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Spacemouse all the way. I find that if I am working on a computer without one, my LH is reaching for it... So engrained now after 7 years of having one. My previous employer had them too, so I have thousands hours on it. Mine is the medium version, (no screen).

JuanH

I have a space mouse with 12 shortcuts for zbrush. I LOVE IT.
Also have a cad mouse right handed brand new. Got it as a gift. But I’m left handed. I want to get rid of it if you are interested.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a space mouse with 12 shortcuts for zbrush. I LOVE IT.
Also have a cad mouse right handed brand new. Got it as a gift. But I’m left handed. I want to get rid of it if you are interested.

I'm currently using a Logitech mouse for my right hand input. I'd love something more flexible. What model is it?