36" Klopp Hydraulic Metal shaper at auction

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The auction company is based in Yorkton but don't know if the shaper is in there.

Rotaxxx

Sorry auction is in Yorkton SK. Bid is now at $1,075 I am surprised it is that high but good as well. I was worried someone would try and pay scrap value for it, and we would loose another big shaper. Hopefully at that price the buyer puts it back in service, my wife is relieved that its selling for more then scrap. Told her if it sells cheap, we may have to make room in our living room for it :oops:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
thats a big shaper. I haven't seen to many of them but recall standing next to GE 36" shaper.....kind of dwarfs you the way standing beside a Mack truck does. They are REALLY big, and those chips when taking a medium cut, say 1" deep, are a serious hazard

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I've messaged the auction house with no reply. I grew up just east of there and this would be a reason to go home.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I don’t believe it is a 36” model. Not based on estimated weight of 1500-2000 lbs (from auction staff)

The biggest model made per lathes.co.uk was in the 30” range but weighed almost 3 ton

Based on the hole pattern on the box, I’d class it at a 525 or 550, which puts the weigh between 1800 and 2500, and stroke of 21” or so..... nothing to sneeze at mind you

Never say never but it would be a gamble ... could be seized etc. But it’s cheaper than building a small deck these days [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Factor in the 22 hours of driving round trip..... fuel...... home cooking ! Perogies, sausage! Meat pie! Seeing my parents.... oh the dilemma

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It is somewhere in SK - auction house is not smart enough to put address all over the place. At current bid it is a steal. Machine should go (if indeed it is 21" and around 2500 lbs) for at least 2500 CAD.

Rotaxxx

It is somewhere in SK - auction house is not smart enough to put address all over the place. At current bid it is a steal. Machine should go (if indeed it is 21" and around 2500 lbs) for at least 2500 CAD.
They dont put an address as they are out in the country side East of Yorkton Sk on Highway 10

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Factor in the 22 hours of driving round trip..... fuel...... home cooking ! Perogies, sausage! Meat pie! Seeing my parents.... oh the dilemma

Man if I could get that combination from a drive I'd be willing to drive one hell of a long way (given that my parents are in heaven) Hee hee.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
And sold.... $1450

I bid, but didn't get it. I had a good chat with the CEO today, not much info on the shaper, no badging, not plate (other than the motor plate and lube chart shown). He would have been ultra-flexible on pickup/storage etc., my main issue was weight mgmt. I recently sold my 3/4 ton to my son, and use my 1/4 ton Colorado to pull my flat deck. The truck is rated for 7K towing, but the trailer eats into that and so on and so forth.

When I originally emailed, I asked what the estimated weight was, and was told 1500 lbs. I replied, said that if this was a Klopp 36" shaper, the specs list it north of 7K lbs, and the reply was, ya, i guess it could weigh 7K. He said no issues with loading etc, fork-lifts on site.

So..... god hates a coward, so I bid but someone I suspect put a higher top bid. Auction etiquette, set a limit, stay within it. So easy to say, what's another 100 or 200.

I hope someone here picked it up, would like to see it running.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Too bad you did not get it @kevin.decelles I did not bid.

I believe it is a Klopp Model 650 H. Would have been around the 3500 to 4500 lbs range. Only the “H” (hydraulic) models had the motor sticking out the back - the hyd pump is inside the casting. The “direct drive” models have the motor transversely mounted.

Klopp Machine Tools still exist today. They still make a version of a shaper - looks a bit different and weighs over 10 metric tons...

http://www.klopp.de/en/klopp-machine-tools/products/high-speed-shaping-machine/