• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

320mm 1um linear scale

Salem747

Hi all, I bought the wrong linear scale. It’s a Chinese ditron model. It reads 320mm but the oal is 453mm. I need an oal of 320 ish.

Never installed, did connect to touch Dro and works fine.

Anyone need one like that?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I cut the glass scales for my mill on my horizontal bandsaw.
Very easy to do as the glass was not tempered so it just crumbled.
Hardest part was tapping the extrusion for the tiny screws that hold the cap on.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi all, I bought the wrong linear scale. It’s a Chinese ditron model. It reads 320mm but the oal is 453mm. I need an oal of 320 ish.

Never installed, did connect to touch Dro and works fine.

Anyone need one like that?

If it's magnetic it's a piece of cake. If it's glass, it's just easy.

Either way, cut it and save yourself some coin. Worst that can happen is you end up with a short piece to use elsewhere. But that's not likely. Just do your research and it will be fine.

Salem747

Shoot, I am not getting notifications, by the time I came back to look I already ordered a shorter one! Now that you guys mention it I did see some stuff about cutting glass scales before.

On a positive note, I installed the 1200mm one on the z axis and it is all working fine through Touch DRO. Will be nice to have on the lathe. I have a 17x60" Standard Modern. Its a nice machine, bigger than I will ever need but like that it is Canadian and spent it's life serving the Navy.