• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

CA-AB 3/4 sucker rod

Alberta
Type
Metal

buckbrush

anybody have an idea what the current going rate for 3/4 sucker rod is? Auction prices for it are nuts! I have been told it is 4130 Crome-moly steel, who really knows?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do a search here on forum. This discussion came up before when a pile of it became available. Once its been tagged out of wellsite service for whatever reason (bent, notched, corrosion, yielded, stripped threads...) it might have some utility value for other purpose, but probably not to many steps away from recyclers. I've occasionally seen it repurposed into noncritical O&G lease structures by frugal operators. More often things like farm gates, animal guards, ladders... by enterprising farmers with welding gear. But by the time you cut it up & de-gunk it was probably just easier & cheaper than hauling it somewhere.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
anybody have an idea what the current going rate for 3/4 sucker rod is? Auction prices for it are nuts! I have been told it is 4130 Crome-moly steel, who really knows?
It has to hold up a mile of rod down the oil well so it’s good stuff. If it breaks then the whole length falls into the bottom of the well.

Crosche

Super User

I am interested in buying a few if you want to do a bulk purchase. Maybe Terry is interested too?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
There's going to be thousands of miles of that stuff available in the near future. Ab energy board is pushing for another huge volume of abandoned/unused wells to be cleaned up in the next two years.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There's going to be thousands of miles of that stuff available in the near future. Ab energy board is pushing for another huge volume of abandoned/unused wells to be cleaned up in the next two years.
Notionally correct, but likely not to the degree associated with these initiatives. Most of this announced activity (which is another tranche in series of ongoing activities btw) is directed to downhole suspended wells Which not always, but typically means, the downhole equipment has been removed long time ago to be deployed elsewhere, aside from a few unscrupulous walkaway operators that seem to make the news. Large percentage of wells are gas producers, so no rods. Mostly what these programs are incentivizing/mandating is combination permanent downhole abandonment through to & including surface reclamation.

buckbrush

I am interested in buying a few if you want to do a bulk purchase. Maybe Terry is interested too?
Yes Terry is in . It is coming from an oil well being capped off and removed. The land owner gets first dibs on the sucker rod and pipe at the rates the contractor gets for the steel. The pipe is $65.00 a stick, the sucker rod I have not got a price for yet but the landowner bought all the sucker rod and some of the pipe.Terry and I will save you some sucker rod, I don’t think the pipe will be in the deal.

It will be a month or two before we get it.

Crosche

Super User
There's going to be thousands of miles of that stuff available in the near future. Ab energy board is pushing for another huge volume of abandoned/unused wells to be cleaned up in the next two year

Yes Terry is in . It is coming from an oil well being capped off and removed. The land owner gets first dibs on the sucker rod and pipe at the rates the contractor gets for the steel. The pipe is $65.00 a stick, the sucker rod I have not got a price for yet but the landowner bought all the sucker rod and some of the pipe.Terry and I will save you some sucker rod, I don’t think the pipe will be in the deal.

It will be a month or two before we get it.

Great! Thanks Carl, I look forward to getting my hands on some. It should make good smithing tools. Do you know if it's all 7/8" or if there is some larger diameter stuff? Did you have a look at the ad's I posted? The going rate seems to be $12 ~ $15 per stick.

buckbrush

Great! Thanks Carl, I look forward to getting my hands on some. It should make good smithing tools. Do you know if it's all 7/8" or if there is some larger diameter stuff? Did you have a look at the ad's I posted? The going rate seems to be $12 ~ $15 per stick.
Yes I looked at them and told the owner the going rate in light of which he has decided to use most of it as fence rail. He says it is all 3/4”, according to his invoice.

‘’Hopefully I can get us 200’ or more, probably in 8 foot pieces.