• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool 20ton Hydraulic press mystery

Tool

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I picked this press up from princess auto a few years ago for a song. I think I paid $60, as it was in the clearance section at the back of the store. I just happened to be walking through the welding section, when one of the employees walked past it and caught his shirt on it, then swore at it, something about "stupid thing, I gotta get this outta here". My Dad immediatly piped up and said I'll take it, but I'm not paying that for it (they had I think $120 on it). Employee got a sharpie out and said what will you pay for it? Dad looked at me, then said $60?, so the guy wrote $60 on it, and dragged it up to the front of the store for us while we finished shopping lol. Memory a bit hazy on the finer details, it might have been $80? but that was the gist of it.
72ec9hd.jpg

Anyway, the pump would pump up, but not move the cylinder very far. I can't remember exactly what I did at the time, but I took it apart, removed all the teflon tape....and reassembled it. I could get it to work, but it would still sometimes hang up, intermittently again. I used it so rarely (it's always been out in the barn), and it would happen so infrequently that it was rarely an issue. A few weeks ago I dragged it into the shop because I want to make a press brake attachment, and some dimple dies for it for some upcoming projects. Tried to use it, but it wouldn't budge the cylinder now. It would pressurize the hose, and was pumping fluid just fine, but just no movement again no matter what i did.

So I tore it all apart again to try and find the root cause of the problem. I was able to figure out pretty easy it wasn't a problem with the pump. The quick connect is different than my porta pack (same size, just finer threads). I could connect the pump to one of those cylinders, but not the other way around. So I hooked it up to one of those cylinders and it worked just fine. I checked both the fittings, and they were passing fluid no prob, So I tore the cylinder down thinking there was something in there making it bind up. Had to make some special tools to remove the packing nut, and pull the spring back for reassembly. It turned out to be fine, leaving me puzzled. I swapped fittings so I could actuate the press cylinder with the porta pack, no prob.....Hmmmm. Was starting to think I really got power fisted here.......
n2OZkV7.jpgpS3dP1M.jpgv9smEoV.jpg

On some of these rams, there is a screw, but on this one there is just a roll pin that holds the spring. I could insert my tool through the back port, grab the eye of the spring, and pull back enough to drop the roll pin in to secure it. Worked great.
bUGuTdT.jpg

That was last weekend, and it left me head scratching a bit. The pump worked, the cylinder worked, The male quick connect worked, and passed fluid no prob. The Female quick connect passed fluid no problem. Both quick connects connected together unattached from the cylinder worked just fine. Everything seemed to work just fine in isolation......But together as a unit? NOTHING.....It would pump up and pressurize the hose, but no movement on the cylinder..... Honestly It was driving me a bit nuts....

Feeling a bit better today after coming down with something this week, I finally got another chance to go out and play with it just now while puttering around, and decided to just bypass the quick connect altogether and connect the hose to the cylinder itself, and voila, it works. Perfectly.
FtRHvcs.jpg

I still don't really know exactly what the problem is in the fittings. When I inspected the fittings there was a piece of broken off thread in the bottom of one. Maybe it was preventing the flow of fluid intermittently some how? Interfering with the check valve? Maybe there is something else in there I can't see preventing the flow also? Teflon tape stuck inside? Maybe they're just made so shittely that they just suck at doing their job. Who knows. It works now. And I can close this frustrating chapter. I love diagnosing things, and problem solving, but this one was annoying and had me contemplating all the poor life choices I made that led me to this point in time.......lol. Thought I'd share, and maybe somebody would find it entertaining :D. Anyone else have tales of perseverance and strange problems?
ddfte9u.jpgicVP4me.jpgKJ9vafU.jpgzh81QPp.jpgzttqpcz.jpg

Now, I can finally get on with making a press brake attachment, and 3d printing some dimple dies and other decorative dies......

Needed a 50' pressure washer hose. Went to PA and my "contact" said he had a new one with the fittings on it too, could have it for the cost of the fittings.
The story was a guy had bought the hose and fittings but they wouldn't disconnect. He brought his pump in and they unscrewed the fitting from the pump and gave him a new hose and fittings and sent him on his merry way.
Hearing this I asked if I could take a look at the fittings, sure, and in the normal second and a half I had them apart and asked if the price was still the same ? The response was "Yeh, I guess, but WTF ?" I guess that at the University of PA in Winnipeg they hadn't taught him that you have to push the hose in to pull the release ring back to get the fittings apart.
He still greets me at the store with "hi hoser".

John

There are vast amounts of people out there that are highly educated yet not very intelligent....

I noticed one thing looking back over the photos, and that's the poor concentricity of the male fitting....I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.... Maybe in certain alignments, that's not depressing fully to allow fluid to pass. Funny I didn't notice that in person only in the pics just now. What did I just say about lack of intelligence.....lol

Attachments

• zh81QPp.jpg
    zh81QPp.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 8
I picked this press up from princess auto a few years ago for a song. I think I paid $60, as it was in the clearance section at the back of the store. I just happened to be walking through the welding section, when one of the employees walked past it and caught his shirt on it, then swore at it, something about "stupid thing, I gotta get this outta here". My Dad immediatly piped up and said I'll take it, but I'm not paying that for it (they had I think $120 on it). Employee got a sharpie out and said what will you pay for it? Dad looked at me, then said $60?, so the guy wrote $60 on it, and dragged it up to the front of the store for us while we finished shopping lol. Memory a bit hazy on the finer details, it might have been $80? but that was the gist of it.
View attachment 41683

Anyway, the pump would pump up, but not move the cylinder very far. I can't remember exactly what I did at the time, but I took it apart, removed all the teflon tape....and reassembled it. I could get it to work, but it would still sometimes hang up, intermittently again. I used it so rarely (it's always been out in the barn), and it would happen so infrequently that it was rarely an issue. A few weeks ago I dragged it into the shop because I want to make a press brake attachment, and some dimple dies for it for some upcoming projects. Tried to use it, but it wouldn't budge the cylinder now. It would pressurize the hose, and was pumping fluid just fine, but just no movement again no matter what i did.

So I tore it all apart again to try and find the root cause of the problem. I was able to figure out pretty easy it wasn't a problem with the pump. The quick connect is different than my porta pack (same size, just finer threads). I could connect the pump to one of those cylinders, but not the other way around. So I hooked it up to one of those cylinders and it worked just fine. I checked both the fittings, and they were passing fluid no prob, So I tore the cylinder down thinking there was something in there making it bind up. Had to make some special tools to remove the packing nut, and pull the spring back for reassembly. It turned out to be fine, leaving me puzzled. I swapped fittings so I could actuate the press cylinder with the porta pack, no prob.....Hmmmm. Was starting to think I really got power fisted here.......
View attachment 41678View attachment 41679View attachment 41680

On some of these rams, there is a screw, but on this one there is just a roll pin that holds the spring. I could insert my tool through the back port, grab the eye of the spring, and pull back enough to drop the roll pin in to secure it. Worked great.
View attachment 41682

That was last weekend, and it left me head scratching a bit. The pump worked, the cylinder worked, The male quick connect worked, and passed fluid no prob. The Female quick connect passed fluid no problem. Both quick connects connected together unattached from the cylinder worked just fine. Everything seemed to work just fine in isolation......But together as a unit? NOTHING.....It would pump up and pressurize the hose, but no movement on the cylinder..... Honestly It was driving me a bit nuts....

Feeling a bit better today after coming down with something this week, I finally got another chance to go out and play with it just now while puttering around, and decided to just bypass the quick connect altogether and connect the hose to the cylinder itself, and voila, it works. Perfectly.
View attachment 41685

I still don't really know exactly what the problem is in the fittings. When I inspected the fittings there was a piece of broken off thread in the bottom of one. Maybe it was preventing the flow of fluid intermittently some how? Interfering with the check valve? Maybe there is something else in there I can't see preventing the flow also? Teflon tape stuck inside? Maybe they're just made so shittely that they just suck at doing their job. Who knows. It works now. And I can close this frustrating chapter. I love diagnosing things, and problem solving, but this one was annoying and had me contemplating all the poor life choices I made that led me to this point in time.......lol. Thought I'd share, and maybe somebody would find it entertaining :D. Anyone else have tales of perseverance and strange problems?
View attachment 41684View attachment 41686View attachment 41687View attachment 41688View attachment 41689

Now, I can finally get on with making a press brake attachment, and 3d printing some dimple dies and other decorative dies......
Please post your press brake build as I just bought a 20 ton press for that purpose.

Meh. My bet is on that the tolerances on the Quick Disconnect fitting kinda suck arse. Esp. since it seems that the system works without them.`

Just based on looking at how deep the threads go on the pictured fittings.

Much to be said in favor of sequential troubleshooting!

Quick disconnects are a wonderful thing, when they work! My eyes were some what opened many years ago to the trials and tribulations of them.
Try hooking up a tractor to a neibors peice of equipment, often the hydraulics will not hook up at the quick connects, different makes, different sizes. Sometimes even if they would go together, they wouldn't work, often due to wear of the couplers.
In this case it appears to be poor/bad machining, or poor tolerances of pieces, the 2 centre tits must push each other off their seats for flow in BOTH directions. The flow can push a tit off its seat, allowing flow in only one direction but not the other, the ram will extend but not retract or vice versa. A broken or weakened spring behind the tit can be a problem too as can dirt etc. in the coupler.
If the power pack is not used powering different rams/equipment the quick connects can be done away with.
Ram piston area X pump pressure will give ram working force in pounds per square inch, or the metric equivalent . Also remember that most/many rams have 2 piston sizes, the shaft side of the ram piston is smaller then non shaft side. Eg. , shaft side does less work then non shaft side. Note this is for a double acting cylinder/ram. Many presses are single acting, with a return spring system to pull shaft back.

Please post your press brake build as I just bought a 20 ton press for that purpose.
Not that you were asking me, but here's a quick one I built for my 12t press. Would be better if it had a pin on either side to align, but for the limited amount I use it it works great. 2 pieces of angle a small piece of tube and a little plate.

Attachments

• 20220607_110700-01.jpg
    20220607_110700-01.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220603_145122.jpg
    20220603_145122.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 24
Back