• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2023 Year end project/shop assessment

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Learnt how to stick weld (or more correctly started learning in earnest…).

Discovered my air compressor had a crack in the tank and members of this forum convinced me it’s not repairable.

Repaired my appliance cart (new tracks which required using my new lathe and my embryonic welding skills).

Made the metal frame for my Mill stand. Had more fun than should be legal.

Moved 2/3’rd’s of the garbage in the basement to get ready for the furnace, AC and Hot Water Tank install. Moved all the garbage back again.

Moved 1/3 of the garbage in the basement when the furnace failed inspection and needed new intake and exhaust piping. Moved all the garbage back again.

Planted a tree and some bushes at the house.

Put wood panelling in the skylight wells at the cottage (on the list for 15 years or so…)

Removed a massive yellow jacket wasp nest without getting bitten this time.

Built a new grease trap for the cottage (but didn’t install because I then…)

Discovered the cottage chimney chase is rotten and did a temporary repair to stop the rot getting worse. With a bit of luck the floor joists aren’t rotten, everything else is. (this will be the first big cottage job for 2024…)

Spent 4 days in the attic running cabling for cameras and putting in two conduits from the attic to the basement. Put staples through two of the Cat-5 cables, one of which then wouldn’t work. Found out two of the 100’ long cables were too short for where I wanted to put the video recorder so I replaced all cabling with 200’ long Cat-6.

Bought myself a baby air compressor to blow dust around the workshop. It should probably run a nailer too. Boy is it quiet!

Installed a woodworking air cleaner in the workshop.

Bought some more toolboxes for my angle grinders and die grinder (my latest fetish).

Used my track saw for the first time on the wood parts of the Mill Stand.

Bought a “reference” square. I probably bought other tools too…

(Thank goodness I take photos of my projects, otherwise I would have forgotten about 1/2 of them…)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Navigated some quite serious medical problems, and continued recovery from Nipigon.

Did a massive sort/cleanup/de-sort on 3/4 of the backyard items.

Began tackling my workshop organization problem, and made good inroads.

Restarted my bridge crane

Dug out and moved 5 tonnes of dirt from my front yard and replaced with chips. Rebuilt one of the 3 large raised beds for gardening.

Added 5 lateral file cabinets for organizing tools and projects

Got to meet some of the Islanders (a real treat - they are great guys!)

Did a lot of small fabrications and welding

Added a bunch of shop wiring and re-insulated 2/3 of the shop ceiling.

Did a lot of small projects with John N

Began watch making (very early stages)

2023 ended on a high note, after a very challenging year. It only gets better from here!

fixerup

Super User
Joined this wonderful forum, read lots of interesting post. Thank you for posting!
Took the wiring harness off the motorcycle, inspected wires for chaffing, repair damaged, re-taped and installed. Replaced steering stem bearing and did the yearly maintenance.
Started my seedling for the vegetable garden, assembled a small greenhouse and made a 3' X 20' X 24" cold frame. Set-up two 1000 liter storage tank for a rain collection system.
Most of my time was spent repairing lots of small things for the family, neighbors, repair cafe, vintage tool club and community food forest.
Mended and made a few of my shop tools, nothing major.
Re-organized my scrap metal stock, into lengths, material types. Took two trailer loads to the metal recyclers, the yard looks cleaner.
Spent time on the web, learning how to fix sewing machines, tuned up 3 and manage to sew new covers for our outdoor furniture swing. Just about to start the the patio umbrella.
2023 was a good year, spending time in the shop fixing or making things was definitely part of it. I think 2024 will be has good, there is always something need fixing or to be made in the shop.
Happy new!
All the best of health and happiness to everyone!

Ya I also navigated some medical problems. One two year treatment period ended with the year end but a new surgery followed. Hope this coming year will be better!

I did manage to do some work improving the floor in my poly house, finished a renovation of some clothes closets in my house, acquired a new to me 2'X3" Mitutoyo surface plate, brought home an awesome Kijiji find with lots of machinist stuff and did a lot of HVLP spray painting .

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
2023 had a lot of ups and downs. Made some big messes in the shop with mixed results. Spent way to much time fixing my daughters haying equipment. spent to much time with the cows especially this fall after the big stamped and escape episode.
Hmm, i seem to be repeating much of what happened in 2022 and 2021........have i been trapped in a time loop? Doomed to repeat my actions endlessly. Jeeeez i should have another coffee and think hard on this.......thinking can be hard, rather be on my range shooting. Have a great 2024 guys.

BMW Rider

Super User
I spent the first 5 months of the year working on a home reno/makeover project. New doors and trim work throughout our main level plus eliminating two unused doors and drywalling the openings. I scraped and flattened the ceilings, repainted everything and replaced upper kitchen cabinets and new doors and drawers in the lowers. Also moved our patio door over three feet and added a new window to create a larger view out. Just about to give the second level the same overhaul this winter.

Then I picked up my new motorcycle and spent most of the rest of the year riding and travelling. I put 10,000 km on the new one, 3500 km on the second bike and another 5800 km on a rented bike in South America. Also traveled to Maui and London.

So not much machining work for me this past year. Not much woodworking either aside from the renos.