Tool 2-4-6 Blocks

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I need to get a pair of 2-4-6 blocks. They don't seem to be readily available on Ali without killer shipping fees.

Accusize sells a pair of them, but they are not tool steel. They are polycarbonate. I am familiar with the difference in material properties, but I really don't know how well they would hold up if used as a machining block.

Accusize 2 pc Precision 2-4-6 Blocks x 0.0001 inch/Inch https://a.co/d/ff4GCVt

Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
They are steel as the detailed description says
  • Hardened steel, hardness HRC 50–60 on 6 sides
  • Precision ground and hardened on all sides

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are steel as the detailed description says
  • Hardened steel, hardness HRC 50–60 on 6 sides
  • Precision ground and hardened on all sides

The detailed description is generic for all the blocks regardless of size. Only the 246 blocks say they are polycarbonate, but it does not say that in the description.

Polycarbonate is mentioned on both their own website and on Amazon.

I suppose I could ask them if you guys think it's an error.

Upnorth

I don't think a block of polycarbonate could be milled to within .0001". Certainly it would not be very accurate with temperature variations and easily damaged. They would be useless for anything except a paper weight. I bought my 2-4-6 blocks from either KBC or Travers tool. They are often on sale. Sometimes the sales price also includes a pair of 1-2-3 blocks thrown in for free.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone have any experience or advice on this?
Yes, I have a set of those. Mine were as advertised: flat, square & parallel. Well within the stated tolerance. The holes are a bit rough in the bores (so are the threads), but does not affect the function one bit.

Travers Canada has them on sale right now as well…

73B4A4A9-D949-4060-9AEB-0BB55326E28F.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Travers has a good price for it, TTC is their store brand at 172. Cheapest Chinese is like 120 on Amazon.

I can't be waiting for a sale. I have a job I need to do yesterday. I had ordered the 120 ones on amazon, but was able to cancel. So I ordered the Accusize.

Thanks everyone.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They arrived today. Paid full pop at Accusize via Amazon. Definitely steel.

They are rough in many ways, not quite what I expected, but assuming they meet specs, they will meet my needs. I'll qualify them shortly and include pics for the kids..... LOL!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The nice laser etched logo is missing and the chatter on the chamfer is nothing less than embarrassing, but it won't affect function. I'll qualify them early next week.

Here is your photo.... LMFAO!

20231105_112427.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some blocks come in matched pairs with a molded case. Not sure if that's where the 'plastic' reference got translated in? I know plastic shim stock exists, but I've never heard of non-metal being used for tooling blocks, at least in common machining.

1699203062638.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I finally got my 2-4-6 blocks from Amazon - 112 CAD plus tax.

Other then Amazon shipping - which was terrible - the first blocks did not even get to me- already trashed in shipping - the 2nd set got to me but I could not really unbox as the original box was ... in pieces. All I know it was black. The outer Amazon box was also ... in bad shape. It had a big "heavy" sticker on it.

In difference to the terrible shipping experience from Amazon the 2-4-6 blocks main problem was a bit "hand made" chamfer in addition to few scratches possibly due to terrible shipping.

However, I was shocked to find out the blocks were easily accurate to 2 micron or even 1 micron (!) I mean well within error of a tenth indicator (!) Not only they were matched.... they actually were dimensionally accurate - i.e. 2" side was precisely 2" and 4" side was 4" while 6" side was ... you guessed it ... 6"!

I honestly did not expect such good performance - did I miss the moment when China started to make quality stuff or did I get lucky?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So I finally got my 2-4-6 blocks from Amazon - 112 CAD plus tax.

Other then Amazon shipping - which was terrible - the first blocks did not even get to me- already trashed in shipping - the 2nd set got to me but I could not really unbox as the original box was ... in pieces. All I know it was black. The outer Amazon box was also ... in bad shape. It had a big "heavy" sticker on it.

In difference to the terrible shipping experience from Amazon the 2-4-6 blocks main problem was a bit "hand made" chamfer in addition to few scratches possibly due to terrible shipping.

However, I was shocked to find out the blocks were easily accurate to 2 micron or even 1 micron (!) I mean well within error of a tenth indicator (!) Not only they were matched.... they actually were dimensionally accurate - i.e. 2" side was precisely 2" and 4" side was 4" while 6" side was ... you guessed it ... 6"!

I honestly did not expect such good performance - did I miss the moment when China started to make quality stuff or did I get lucky?
All my import stuff of late has been excellent quality.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Ironically, I just received a pair of 246 blocks from Amazon too. My shipping experience was excellent. Marked Heavy. Well packed in oiled paper. Cradled in heavy cardboard bumpers. No damage anywhere.

Dimensionally, they are as perfect as I can measure.

They only have one flaw I can see. The chamfering on the holes is atrocious. But no way is it hand done. The chatter is gigantic. So bad that it looks more like IR was done using a multifluted cutter driven by a diesel engine mounted in a 5 million ton press running at 2 RPM. To be honest, it is so bad I can't even figure out how they did it! However, it is only cosmetic so I'm not sending them back.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

I think its improving, but its not a straight line on a graph but a bandwidth with lots of noise and oscillation. Its a big economy and like any not homogeneous. You are in the high risk zone with this tooling, you never know until you check them, which is kind of the value proposition of quality brands: trust. As Chinese business continue to learn branding, and become direct stakeholders in quality, Starrett Mit etc better look out.

No name tooling continues to be spotty (to be expected, mfgs almost entirely compete on price only) but I've bought some nice stuff made in China in the past few years. Branded stuff; a camera gimbal, 3d Scanner and 3D printer. Not as nice as Japanese stuff but way nicer than anything before from China....imo attributable to branding. I've got a 12,000 watt laser somewhere on the ocean right now heading my way ...... so I sure hope my theory is right!