• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

1968 Schaublin 53 at Powermaster Machinery, Mississauga ON

Gordie

Found this ex-university machine yesterday and enquired. Darrell of Powermaster responded to me with a price of $9,950 and pictures of a pristine machine. Now, this would give you major bragging rights over Tony (aka This old Tony) with his Model 12. Schaublin as y'all likely know is still in business as is FerroTechnique Montreal, who sold this machine. Has the brackets but auxiliary support shafts aren't in picture, but they're not complex tooling, just big. My dream is a mint Bridgeport, but this is cooler!
IMG_3447.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    666.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    665 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    674.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member
Pretty sure TOT has a Schaub 13, not a 12! The 12 is a much more basic machine!

I ran a 13 in trade school, some 20 and change years back, that came from the Pratt and Whitney Canada prototype shop... It was niiiice!

IIRC, the 52 is a comparative Hulk of a machine next to a 13, and like as not, would be tough to run without 3Ph 575v power available.

Gordie

Pretty sure TOT has a Schaub 13, not a 12! The 12 is a much more basic machine!
You're right there trevj. TOT ran a routine episode on his 13. I found a 53, not 52.So glad I use Tax software not my fingers. Yes a hulk, 4400 pounds worth, but so was his 13. Still a very capable machine. Power is an oddball 385v. Buyer note, some rewiring required.

Rauce

Ultra Member
~400v is European standard for 3 phase so that makes sense.

This machine has caught my eye too but I don’t have the space or the money.

The price seems pretty reasonable considering it has so many accessories with it like a dividing head, hi-speed quill head etc.

Gordie

Hey Rauce. Motor (s) are multi-tap on the circuit diagram, so 220/3 supply may be possible at a proportional increase in amp draw. Most Shaublin, esp. these mills, seem to be sold with a lot of tooling This one has nicely organized storage.

trevj

Ultra Member
You're right there trevj. TOT ran a routine episode on his 13. I found a 53, not 52.So glad I use Tax software not my fingers. Yes a hulk, 4400 pounds worth, but so was his 13. Still a very capable machine. Power is an oddball 385v. Buyer note, some rewiring required.
IIRC the base weight of a 53 is around 1700Kg, the base weight of a 13 is closer to 450Kg.
I could see sneaking a 13 down in to the basement, less so a 53, eh?

Nice machine, and not too badly priced. If you have the space and power available, I doubt it would take much of a transformer to provide the label rating voltages to the motors.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The 13 iirc has a challenging small work envelope, or it least that what we tell ourselves to feel better about not having one :)

everything you'd want to know about the 53.

I'm a little bit tempted, but the only place for is the plant, and it'll just sit there with a tarp over it. (I'd have to hold onto the keys to it...... its a fab shop and Schaublins in places where you get where you want to go by torching welding and zip cutting doesn't seem like a good idea). We had one guy, super hard worker, but damn it, if you didn't keep him stacked up tasks you just didn't know what was going to end welded.

Gordie

Thanks, Mcgyver, found that manual online. If plans come together, this 53 will be housed in a former horse barn (stable).