• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

1925 McDougall Lathe refurbish

Duncan K

Got the VFD and switch mounted, ran new power from the panel and got everything wired up. It sure is nice to have the speed control with the turn of a knob! The alligator clip connector for the belt makes a ton of noise coming over the top pulley. I think I might increase the diameter of that top pulley to make it a little easier on that clip to get around it. Still have to deal with that crossed screw. I'll have another go at straightening it in the press

IMG_6225.jpg IMG_6226.jpg

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The alligator clip connector for the belt makes a ton of noise coming over the top pulley.
How about replacing the belt with an endless flat belt? Transmission Supplies here in Calgary sells them (not affiliated). It would make your lathe run much smoother.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
An old farmers fix (Again LOL) for baler belts with that joint that run "bouncy" over the rollers was to take two flat bars long enough & wide enough to cover the joint and then squeeze them in a big C-clamp just enough to smooth the wire bends.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
An old farmers fix (Again LOL) for baler belts with that joint that run "bouncy" over the rollers was to take two flat bars long enough & wide enough to cover the joint and then squeeze them in a big C-clamp just enough to smooth the wire bends.
My dad used to flatten the alligator clip connectors on the flat belts we had on the farm. He used a hammer and a bucking bar.

Duncan K

Ordered some 5/8 insert tool holders. Had to take .150 off the tool post to get them on centreline.

IMG_6304.jpg IMG_6311.jpg IMG_6312.jpg

Made a few test cuts, so far so good. I have a new endless belt ordered from Norwesco that should quiet things down.

IMG_6313.jpg

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Almost a part of the nostalgia that clack sound. It makes the mood, Benefits of modern belt aside I would have a rivet or even paper clip in/on the thing for that rhythm but that’s me. Restomod lol

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Duncan! Thats cool! My first lathe was a Flather made in NH some time in the 20's or 30's it had bee converted to a giant 1hp electric motor with a fibre gear that ran on the high gear. It was quite hurt when I got it, we took it apart to get it out of the fish box plant where it was. the bed was eight feet long but after the head stock and tailstock were mounted it was 36" between centers. After a year of fixing it was a really good machine capable of excellent accuracy. High sppe was a blistering 300RPM : ) Keep on it you'll have an excellent lathe.