15" X 50" lathe on the GOC auction site located in Ralston Alberta

kylemp

I'd be cautious on this one unless you can go test the machine. I just bought a colchest mascot 1600 (and this machine is a replica colchester) only to find a broken gear in the headstock. A used replacement is 1600usd and a new one is around 2700usd. That's only one gear shredded up..

And it's 600v.. I've done the changeover before, it would cost you a few hundred dollars to get contactors and control stuff that can handle that current.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
"I just bought a colchest mascot 1600 (and this machine is a replica colchester) only to find a broken gear in the headstock."

Do you have particulars about the broken gear like OD, ID, Diametral Pitch, #Teeth, Material, Straight or Helical cut, etc, etc? Maybe I can make you one. Would for sure save you some $$s.

Have you considered getting it repaired?

kylemp

I did end up sending it to be repaired.. there is some question ad to its specifics. It should be a 2.5mod 18t but it's integral to the shaft which makes it so much harder. A place in town is doing the repair and heat treating for 500, it's kind of a shot in the dark how it will perform. I didn't think anyone on here had gear cutting setups.. I'd like to come check out your shop.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good to hear that you have found a solution.

You are welcome to have a look any time. Send me a message and we'll set something up.

Repaired a gear just this afternoon....

IMG_0618.JPG