• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

15" X 50" lathe on the GOC auction site located in Ralston Alberta

kylemp

I'd be cautious on this one unless you can go test the machine. I just bought a colchest mascot 1600 (and this machine is a replica colchester) only to find a broken gear in the headstock. A used replacement is 1600usd and a new one is around 2700usd. That's only one gear shredded up..

And it's 600v.. I've done the changeover before, it would cost you a few hundred dollars to get contactors and control stuff that can handle that current.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
"I just bought a colchest mascot 1600 (and this machine is a replica colchester) only to find a broken gear in the headstock."

Do you have particulars about the broken gear like OD, ID, Diametral Pitch, #Teeth, Material, Straight or Helical cut, etc, etc? Maybe I can make you one. Would for sure save you some $$s.

Have you considered getting it repaired?

kylemp

I did end up sending it to be repaired.. there is some question ad to its specifics. It should be a 2.5mod 18t but it's integral to the shaft which makes it so much harder. A place in town is doing the repair and heat treating for 500, it's kind of a shot in the dark how it will perform. I didn't think anyone on here had gear cutting setups.. I'd like to come check out your shop.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good to hear that you have found a solution.

You are welcome to have a look any time. Send me a message and we'll set something up.

Repaired a gear just this afternoon....

IMG_0618.JPG