• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Zinc Plating

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm always interested in different rust preventing finishing techniques. Lately I've been working on zinc plating. In the photos below you can see my mad scientist setup. The top photo shows some results. I took the zinc off a 9/16 bolt (with a pickling vinegar dip) and then welded on a crude handle of hot roll scrap. Then I cleaned it up with dish detergent, rinsed in distilled water from a hand sprayer, then put it in the zinc plating bath. You can see the results look pretty good.

The zinc plating bath (acetate) is made from a mixture of vinegar, a bit of salt (1/2 tea spoon), sugar, and two zinc anodes. And a 6V DC power supply. I tried both regular salt and epsom salt - seems quite similar in results.

I found this discussion quite relevant and helpful. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-and-Bolts&s=b7498cd61f2667625dc769240f0f77d7
Here is the recipe in case the link goes down.

The plating solution recipe (which you can scale up or down as you like):
1 liter of vinegar (5%)
100 grams Epsom Salt
120 grams sugar
8 - 10 square inches of zinc pieces

Add the Epsom Salt and sugar to room temperature vinegar and stir until dissolved. Add the zinc pieces and leave lightly covered for 24 hours.

First you create a saturated zinc solution called 'zinc acetate' basically put two bars of zinc in the vinegar as a cathode and anode and turn on the 6V power for a few hours. Then remove negative anode and attach your part instead. keep turning the part as it plates to get even coverage. Takes a while for me, an hour... Then remove the part and burnish it with some steel wool. On the T-Nut you can see where the alligator clip was attached and bare steel underneath. Need to move the clip around to prevent that.

ah and the zinc - I bought a zinc anode for a crab trap off amazon.ca of all things. It's a smallish fist sized hunk and I just cut off slices. I was ordering other stuff and just added that. There are other zinc sources but this was the cheapest most convenient I could find.
Ladner Traps Zinc Anode for Crab Trap

I'm going to try a larger part next.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3065.JPG
    IMG_3065.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8287.JPG
    IMG_8287.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8910.JPG
    IMG_8910.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm also looking for a source of nickel - anybody got any? I want to nickel plate as well and it is also quite a simple process. It is available on ebay but it's a bit pricey $10 plus shipping for a little 6" strip of the stuff - I need 2 at least plus shipping it's probably $40. stupid expensive for 50 grams of metal. I've tried some nickel cupboard door knobs but they appear to be some sort of nickel alloy with brass underneath so that's not working very well. (note they might be fine as lathe finger replacements) . For metal plating you need pure nickel.