• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Your preferred hold down fasteners?

What size bolts do you use for fixturing to t-nuts on your mill

• Total voters

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Question for the forum - what size hold down bolts and ready rod do you use on your mill generally? Maybe the question should be what size is your clamping kit?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey John,

When I bought my mill i got a bit lucky as the seller included what worked out to 1.5 clamping kits. I received two trays, one complete with all the wedges and clamps and bolts etc and one that only contained the bolts and a couple coupler nuts. Both these sets are 1/2" and seem well suited for a standard Bridgeport or BP clone.

At work we have a 3/8 set for a smaller mill (Busy Bee 600). I also have some parts in the 3/8" at home for the lathe face plate

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Complete set 1/2” on the BP mill
Complete set 3/8” from tool buy (also used on the mill and anywhere else it is required and it fits)
Some M10 from the Deckels
Some Whitworth from the Clarkson T&CG

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have 2.75 sets of 1/2" hold downs. On that small mill, I enlarged the T slots .030 in order to use the larger 1/2" studs.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have roughly 2 sets of 1/2 hold downs for both large mills and few smaller 3/8 for smaller stuff such as a baby mill and small drill press.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm curious as to why you posed this question? I have a 1/2" clamping kit for my mill and had to make some custom 1/2" T-Nuts for my RT. The face plate I slotted for my lathe is 3/8".

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I don't have a mill but the t-slots on the milling attachment I have for my lathe appears to be a 12mm t-slot (widest/bottom of the t-nut). In the process of making some T-nuts for it so I can quit using the hex head bolts that I filed down to fit currently.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm surprised at the number of 1/2" votes - clear winner. I thought it would be 3/8 or maybe M10 (what I have). I use a lot of 3/8 t-nuts and regular 3/8 bolts though too.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The majority of machines I used have all used 1/2 " stud kits. Even my little mill only need a little tweak to use them. And you need a really big mill to need 5/8" ones.

Chipper5783

Sized to the machine. Two 1/2" kits for the mid sized mills, a 3/8 kit for the little Maho. I've made a few custom Tee nuts for nearly every Tee slot ( because when you actually measure them, every one is different) - and sometimes an under sized stud or bolt is needed (3/8" on the larger mills, a 1/4" bolt in the middle of a part etc.).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have some metric tooling like RT where the casting lug dictates M# fastener therefore the T-nut must match, even though the table slot itself is capable of slightly larger. Same thing with some fixture plates I made for bolting into chucks, but I can bolt the plates themselves down to table. I use these Bessey style for setups because very fast to set up as long as the part isn't too high. Model 500 = 1/2" model 375 = 3/8". So the answer for me at least is: 'it depends' and a range.

I think most Asian Bridgeport clones have T-slot dimensions milled to Imp standards to mimic N-Am Bridgeport's (as opposed to actually being metric but close enough that the IMP works). I've never been able to verify. Anyways it pays to have a few different kinds kicking around but more dictated by the tooling & fixtures you strap on.

1616769334303.png

Attachments

• 1616769163394.png
    1616769163394.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Side note - unfortunately this sort of question comes up too frequently. How do I put Humpty Dumpty back together again?
1/2" bolts are what like 7-14 ksi tension depending on the grade. Hobby grade cast iron is no match for excess gronk force like what a big commercial machine could withstand. You don't want things to move under machining forces especially interrupted cuts. But there is also no sense going nutty on clamping pressures. I've never actually seen a torque rating for mill tables, have any of you?

1616771569798.png

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure if this is the type info you are looking for Peter. Here is a Torque table for aluminum extrusion T-Slots. I have not found one for CI tables yet.

BF5399D8-EA57-4F2B-8BBD-244DEC44FAA9.png

For a 5/16 T-nut it is 20 ft-lbs, so not a whole lot.

Here is the link to their website: https://faztek.net/technical.html