You thought your gear was expensive.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What would you be making in a machine like this that warrants 60 small pallets running 24 hours a day? I always have a lot of trouble visualizing the work. Airplane parts. Car parts? Industrial parts? Consumer parts?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Shooting hogs down south is big....ar15/223 is the tool of choice for that.

when you have the bucks to shoot hogs from a helicopter a fancy jam-o-matic drum mag wouldn't be out of reach!

In all seriousness, turbine engine parts are insanely expensive, maybe things like that

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For military use...
From their website: "Unlike other companies we want every citizen regardless of what state you live in to own one of these. If you live in a state or city with a magazine restriction, give me a call. We are currently working on a pinned 10 round version. We are also working on compiling a list of non-mil spec AR-15’s that the magazine is compatible with."

Helicopter shooting of hogs makes sense. I was hunting moose and elk in Sask. We used to say one bullet, one animal. Not always the case, but if you need to blast away with a semi-auto...Safeway is just around the corner. ;)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Helicopter shooting of hogs makes sense. I was hunting moose and elk in Sask. We used to say one bullet, one animal. Not always the case, but if you need to blast away with a semi-auto...Safeway is just around the corner. ;)

Other than the weight, a modern semi-auto makes an excellent hunting rifle, accurate, great handling, very low recoil, quick follow up shot if needed, nothing wrong hunting with a modern style firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perry

Ultra Member
Can someone explain the "Property Tax" he keeps refering to in the video?

If I understand it correctly in California he has to pay a tax on owning the machine?

Upnorth

Can someone explain the "Property Tax" he keeps refering to in the video?

If I understand it correctly in California he has to pay a tax on owning the machine?
Some places in the USA charge an annual tax on equipment inside a business. The robodrill would be taxed as property although they may call the tax something else.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well i'm sure that several of the guys i have seen in utube videos, you know the ones... open toe sandals, dirty baggy pants and a dirt floor work shop...... those guys could do the same job much cheaper and as fast. o_O

Upnorth

Well i'm sure that several of the guys i have seen in utube videos, you know the ones... open toe sandals, dirty baggy pants and a dirt floor work shop...... those guys could do the same job much cheaper and as fast. o_O
With a +/- .125" tolerance and your parts will be made with whatever they found in the junk pile.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What would you be making in a machine like this that warrants 60 small pallets running 24 hours a day? I always have a lot of trouble visualizing the work. Airplane parts. Car parts? Industrial parts? Consumer parts?

Although it seems apparent from their website that they are making magazines, car parts would require much higher volumes than that.

Imagine a car that requires 4 of the same part in each vehicle - say one on each door. With an assembly line production rate of 70 vehicles an hour that's roughly:
300 parts an hour
for several years. Now imagine that same part used on various models in different assembly plants (parts commonality across many models is a very normal design objective and some suppliers even make parts for many manufacturers) and you could easily be looking to produce several thousand parts an hour! Now think of a simple light bulb or a wiring connector where you could be talking hundreds of thousands of parts an hour....... LMAO!

At the show I've seen some small machines that are about $500k and when you do the math, for the right job the ROI can be 6 month to a year or two.

I have friend with a machine shop and two years ago he purchased a $1,000,000.00 machine, from what I understand it has already paid for itself and then some.

My upgrade was about $5k plus various add-ons since maybe $6k total. Based on the work I do, I expected the ROI was 1-2yrs in reality it was closer to 6 months. Based on this it is enough to consider a more serious machine for the future.

Added...The ROI was calculated on one part only, if I add in the other parts made it is even shorter.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Degen without revealing anything confidential what type of parts does your friend with the shop make? and what are you making if you feel comfortable answering the question. :)

trevj

Ultra Member
Never looked at the insides of an iPhone all that closely, then, have you? Or a computer hard disk drive? Worth having a good look inside either, if not both!

A few years back, the guys on practicalmachinist were discussing that RoboDrill was backordered for a matter of several years of machine production, JUST by the orders from folks like FoxxCon and the others in the main part of the Apple iPhone supply lines. At least one of the guys there had been in a huge facility, that was essentially a parts farm, mostly automated, but with a huge labor pool, who mostly just wheeled bins of blanks to the machines, and wheeled finished parts back to warehousing. Another guy there was trying to troubleshoot some connectors he was making on a CNC Swiss, for the same industry. He said about 10,000 of them fit in a letter envelope for shipping... These were connectors for antenna cables used in Cell Phones. Around a millimeter across.

These days anyone with the mouth speed to talk the Banker into a Loan, can buy a fair-to-decent 5 axis machine and start churning out their own idea of what the perfect Turbocharger custom spool should be, and pretty much count on being never without work. Or gun parts. Or whatever other opportunity that may bite you on the arse! :)

trevj

Ultra Member
Close: https://www.conourmfg.com/product/1...rum-mag-for-5-56-233-caliber-mil-spec-ar-15s/

In case you are hunting and it takes you 120 rounds to bring down your animal.
LOL! Some animals need to be shot 120 times! Cheaper and easier to feed them through a wood chipper. Just not as fun! Having spent at least some time shooting belt fed, full auto, and getting to play with High Explosives, there is a lot to be said for the simple fun factor of going out and enjoying yourself in whatever way you please.

Remember, according to a LOT of people in this world now, YOU don't "Need" to own anything! You don't "Need" to travel outside your assigned 15 minute space, and especially, you don't "Need" any means to resist being forced to comply with what your supposed 'betters' think you need to be doing.

On a REALLY close-to-home example, several Countries, have decided that ordinary people don't "Need" to own Machine Tools, just in case they decide to do something about the way their Government treats them...

Personally, I'd have a couple of those 120 round mags, just because I know they make some people really uncomfortable! Not like they are eminently practical, or easy to carry, just because they irritate the hells out of the weak minded! LOL! But mostly, those uncomfortable people are the ones preaching at me about why they claim I don't "Need", what I find my fun in using!