• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Yota gets new Bumpers!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
When I bought my first Yota (a 1990 model) in 2009 I bought a WARN winch to go with it. This is my 4th Yota since then and the winch finally has a home. I bought the templates for both the front and rear bumpers from flatland4x4.com and had the local waterjet guys slice up the pieces.
1709867366859.jpeg The pic just shows the bigger pieces, there's bunch more and a box of smaller pieces as well under the bench.

Started with the rear bumper as it looked less intimidating than the front, ya right. There is a few pieces in the corners that are more like origami, just trying to keep them lined up for tacking was bit of a pita. Masking tape and magnets help keep things together and it eventually got it all tacked.
1709867663247.jpeg 1709867691234.jpeg

Next was on to the front, taking from what I learned on the rear the front went together fairly well. Clamped the top down to the table and built it upside down but first had to open up the hole for the fairlead as the one from the plans was about 2" to narrow and drill the fairlead mounting holes.
1709868031947.jpeg 1709868059194.jpeg 1709869472530.jpeg

Next was the winch mount and subframe. The drawings show the winch mount, the subframe and the bumper as one welded up piece but that was going to be a real pita put together and then get to the mounting bolts. I made it so the bumper bolts to the subframe letting me mount the winch and controller and then bolt on the bumper. Test fit worked well so then it all got welded up.

1709868345268.jpeg 1709868383644.jpeg

Subframe painted, winch mounted and on the truck.
1709868515134.jpeg

And the rear and front painted and on the truck. The paint is just rust paint and rollered on as I don't have a spray booth and I wanted to get it done.

1709868672109.jpeg 1709868702056.jpeg

1709868744379.jpeg 1709868777270.jpeg

I'm going to build a hinged bracket for the license plate that will cover the fairlead and flip up out of the way when I use the winch.
It took a couple of months to build but I'm retired, it's winter and I don't have anywhere else to be so it kept me out of any permanent trouble.

@mmcmdl - yes this is a different truck from the one in the picture of my WTB ad, that one was Yota #2. ;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
When I bought my first Yota (a 1990 model) in 2009 I bought a WARN winch to go with it. This is my 4th Yota since then and the winch finally has a home. I bought the templates for both the front and rear bumpers from flatland4x4.com and had the local waterjet guys slice up the pieces.
View attachment 45236The pic just shows the bigger pieces, there's bunch more and a box of smaller pieces as well under the bench.

Started with the rear bumper as it looked less intimidating than the front, ya right. There is a few pieces in the corners that are more like origami, just trying to keep them lined up for tacking was bit of a pita. Masking tape and magnets help keep things together and it eventually got it all tacked.
View attachment 45237View attachment 45238

Next was on to the front, taking from what I learned on the rear the front went together fairly well. Clamped the top down to the table and built it upside down but first had to open up the hole for the fairlead as the one from the plans was about 2" to narrow and drill the fairlead mounting holes.
View attachment 45239View attachment 45240View attachment 45250

Next was the winch mount and subframe. The drawings show the winch mount, the subframe and the bumper as one welded up piece but that was going to be a real pita put together and then get to the mounting bolts. I made it so the bumper bolts to the subframe letting me mount the winch and controller and then bolt on the bumper. Test fit worked well so then it all got welded up.

View attachment 45241View attachment 45242

Subframe painted, winch mounted and on the truck.
View attachment 45243

And the rear and front painted and on the truck. The paint is just rust paint and rollered on as I don't have a spray booth and I wanted to get it done.

View attachment 45244View attachment 45245

View attachment 45246View attachment 45247

I'm going to build a hinged bracket for the license plate that will cover the fairlead and flip up out of the way when I use the winch.
It took a couple of months to build but I'm retired, it's winter and I don't have anywhere else to be so it kept me out of any permanent trouble.

@mmcmdl - yes this is a different truck from the one in the picture of my WTB ad, that one was Yota #2. ;)
Nice work Mike. Looks hella stout!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My “yota” was my first car. A 1972 Toyota Corona 4 door. It was even badged “yota” on the back because the To had fallen off. Was a great little car. 56 miles to the gallon on the highway. (The body was getting lighter and lighter as time went by). And because it needed work, and I couldn’t afford to take it to a garage, it was responsible for my well equipped shop (now) and the ability to tackle just about any mechanical or sheet metal job needed. Dad gave me the car in my second year at university. I tell people that I think that meant he loved me. Some days at -40 under the car in the parking lot without gloves I wasn’t so sure.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks great. I'm currently trying to find a truck project to build and flip flopping back and forth between a squarebody chev and going BIG, or a little taco like that and going for a more overlander type build.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
By "square body are you referring to 1980's models...if so I may have just what your looking for sitting in my yard, a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4 that is prob rebuildable into a hunting /off road warrior. It still has the "204" geared transfer case not a chain case.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ummm, pretty sure that he meant dent side Ford.....
I want something to drive, not yard art......:D

By "square body are you referring to 1980's models...if so I may have just what your looking for sitting in my yard, a 1980 3/4 ton 4x4 that is prob rebuildable into a hunting /off road warrior. It still has the "204" geared transfer case not a chain case.
If I get a GM, I'm specifically looking for an 82 (birth year) quad cab 4x4 3/4-1 ton. I think I've accepted the fact that I might have to travel south to buy one in decent enough condition to where I don't have to replace everything. But I'm also open to a Taco, or similar light pickup too. I've had a couple s10/Sonoma's over the years, and always liked them, but even they're tough to find in decent condition anymore. My 2010 sierra is coming to the end of it's practical life, and I want to replace it with something older and a bit of a restoration/modification project for when I need a truck.

Would love to see more of YotaBota's tacos (and I'll stop threadjacking)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I want something to drive, not yard art......:D
:D:D My brother was a "found on road dead" fan and I was into chevy's.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Yota #1 - 1990, standard cab, 22RE with header and remote oil filter, 5 speed and locking hubs.

1709921197482.jpeg

Yota #2 - 1998 Taco, xtended cab, 4 cyl 5 speed, and a great frame. I added an aftermarket pwr window to the passengers side cause it was to hard to reach over while driving. Took out the stupid dead clock and put the window switch in it's place. My clutch knee was starting to give me grief otherwise I'd probably still have it.
1709921394779.jpeg

Yota #3 - 2008 Taco - Had it for less than a year, didn't like it, big compared to the 1st gen trucks.
1709921509572.jpeg

Yota #4 - 2004 Taco - V6, pwr group, white instrument panel, 2" lift. It had an air gap in the frame on both sides above the rear axle. The only thing holding it together was the springs and the box. Found a decent frame, did the swap, added a bunch of new parts and still came out costing me less than market value.

1709922089874.jpeg

This was during the frame swap. I supported the body engine/trans and dropped the frame out the bottom, worked really well. Didn't need to drain any engine fluids, just disconnect the stuff between the body and the frame. Would I do it again, absolutely and I may if the right deal comes along to flip but I'm hoping this one will out last me.
1709922151918.jpeg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I like your Current one, but do like the 98 also. I want some cab space for the kids. Every time I search for them now I just get hung up on how out of whack the used car market is though. Gotta sell my Sierra first, and then I'll start getting serious about finding something.

As much as I'd like to get a manual, my clutch knee ain't the greatest anymore either, and the wife hates driving them, so my current Honda fit might be the last gear jammer I own.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I love your first one though. I had a couple reg cab short box s10's and Sonomas and always loved a simple little truck like that. Got used to the extra room in an extended cab when I had kids, but would love to go back to a simple small truck like that someday once the Cargo requirements change.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I ha
I love your first one though. I had a couple reg cab short box s10's and Sonomas and always loved a simple little truck like that. Got used to the extra room in an extended cab when I had kids, but would love to go back to a simple small truck like that someday once the Cargo requirements change.
I have a 2011 GMC Canyon, 2wd, 4cyl, extended cab short box that works well. I wish it had a bit more power but overall it's been good.