• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

WTB small hobby knee mill.

WestVinTools

Hey, just joined the forum. I just sold my Wells index 747 mill and am looking for a smaller knee mill like a clausing 8520, or Craftex CT054 (just missed out on one). I'm in Brantford, Ontario and willing to drive a few hours for it unless delivery is an option. Please let me know and price if you have one or know of something (yes I'm searching Kijiji and marketplace. Appreciate it.

Eric

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey, just joined the forum. I just sold my Wells index 747 mill and am looking for a smaller knee mill like a clausing 8520, or Craftex CT054 (just missed out on one). I'm in Brantford, Ontario and willing to drive a few hours for it unless delivery is an option. Please let me know and price if you have one or know of something (yes I'm searching Kijiji and marketplace. Appreciate it.

Eric

Milling Machine ok | Other Business & Industrial | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

Did you see this one?

And welcome to the forums.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Eric
Welcome.
I would think it might be hard to go from a larger milling machine down to a smaller less capable one?? I've never gotten to the large machines myself so I am just guessing.

WestVinTools

Well I didn't want to sell it, but a single car garage and partially torn rotator cuff a in both shoulders told me otherwise. Lol

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I didn't want to sell it, but a single car garage and partially torn rotator cuff a in both shoulders told me otherwise. Lol
Yup that certainly enough reason! I have a Craftex 6x26 milling machine and I like it. I feel it is nice and rigid but it's work envelope is definitely small.

Crankit

Welcome. to the forum.....I would love to have a Wells-Index!
Also check out Precision Matthews out of Pa for their line up of smaller mills

WestVinTools

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have experience during this pandemic getting a mill from someone's garage in the US and having it brought into Canada? Or should I post this as a separate thread? There has to be a way. Any ideas anyone?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Thanks everyone! Does anyone have experience during this pandemic getting a mill from someone's garage in the US and having it brought into Canada? Or should I post this as a separate thread? There has to be a way. Any ideas anyone?
Find a truck driver that’s willing to smuggle it across the border?

openshooter

Hi, there a craftex knee mill by auction at Kidd Family Auctions. The bidding closes on Apr 30. The machine is a B048, i have been watching it but alittle larger then what i want currently. Current bid is $2825 Not sure where you are but this sale is Ont

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I can't help but think there is a multi-member cart-wheel deal possible here. The trick is it would involve probably 3-6 people to pull off, maybe some straight across trades for some, some cash outlay for those with no machines and probably cash coming out for others.

As a for example.... I have a CT054 knee mill (6x26).... which is my go-to manual mill. I like it a lot, but it is a tool that can be replaced. I also have the room/space for a larger machine (bridgeport clone) but I'm not actively out 'looking' as I don't have the cash to outlay. I know of several members that have spare universal mills that I would be quite happy with, but it means moving a mill out in order to move a mill in...... My problem is that I don't want to be without a mill for very long, so selling, sitting on the cash and 'waiting' for a new machine does not appeal to me. so I stay with my ct054.....

I'm not sure how many of your have played 'settlers of catan'. Its like the trading scenario there -- I have 2 bricks and I need 3 sheep, who wants to trade. Sometimes you have to trace 1 brick for a rock, and a brick/rock for a wheat to get the sheep.

My musings of the morning.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can't help but think there is a multi-member cart-wheel deal possible here. The trick is it would involve probably 3-6 people to pull off, maybe some straight across trades for some, some cash outlay for those with no machines and probably cash coming out for others.

As a for example.... I have a CT054 knee mill (6x26).... which is my go-to manual mill. I like it a lot, but it is a tool that can be replaced. I also have the room/space for a larger machine (bridgeport clone) but I'm not actively out 'looking' as I don't have the cash to outlay. I know of several members that have spare universal mills that I would be quite happy with, but it means moving a mill out in order to move a mill in...... My problem is that I don't want to be without a mill for very long, so selling, sitting on the cash and 'waiting' for a new machine does not appeal to me. so I stay with my ct054.....

I'm not sure how many of your have played 'settlers of catan'. Its like the trading scenario there -- I have 2 bricks and I need 3 sheep, who wants to trade. Sometimes you have to trace 1 brick for a rock, and a brick/rock for a wheat to get the sheep.

My musings of the morning.
Hmn. I think I need to find a settler of Catan game, that sounds fun. Unfortunately I can't partake in the machinery trade game but that would be fun also.