WTB angle plate(s)

Gearhead88

Super User
I have a few smaller angle plates , what you would find at Busy Bee tools . I'd like to find some larger angle plates to use as fixtures for doing certain machining operations .

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now do you mean angle plate as in the 90-deg, typically slotted kind? Or angle 'block' sets like the progressive graduated set? Or varying (graduated or sine).

If you can provide an example setup that might help too. For some machining setups to hold odd things at specific angles, I have made simple dedicated fixture plates which are nothing more than accurate stock with dowel pins at specific locations to index along surface edges.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-11-11 12.50.27 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-11 12.50.27 PM.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 11

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Those are pretty expensive. What about making one? Weld two plates together as close as possible to 90° and then face them to 90° to get rid of the welding distortion? I did this once to make a welding fixture. I also discovered while doing this my inexpensive combination set from busy bee was absolute crap.

Or maybe facing and then bolting together with a row of machine screws be easier and more effective?

Sounds like a fun project.

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
Those are pretty expensive. What about making one? Weld two plates together as close as possible to 90° and then face them to 90° to get rid of the welding distortion? I did this once to make a welding fixture. I also discovered while doing this my inexpensive combination set from busy bee was absolute crap.

Or maybe facing and then bolting together with a row of machine screws be easier and more effective?

Sounds like a fun project.
I might just do this , winter is here , I have several projects on the drawing board.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The advntage of making your own is that you get to practice a lot of great skills in doing so... You can also make the unicorn that nowadays cannot be purchased: A large plate with a removable web section.

Here's another idea: expand the lending library to include a large plate... I can offer mine. Fo those not *yet* supporters, perhaps a 10$ donation per loan to site??

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The one I saw must predate the 50s. It had 3 spots the web could go, with 2 tapped holes per side with countersink holes.

The web was a cast triangle, thicker than the angle plate sides. It had been precision scraped to a 90 degree angle, and so was the interior of the plate.

I think originally it came with 3 webs, but by the time I saw it there was only 1 left.

I suppose you could buy a large plate and retrofit a removable web for it.

Gearhead88

Super User
Update : ............. Yesterday , I ordered this 10" x 7" adjustable angle plate on Amazon .

Of course , it was "in stock" , they never seem to reveal where the "in stock " item is however They immediately took payment for the item.

This morning I got an email , in Chinglish , informing me that there has been a "mistake" at the warehouse and the item will not be in stock for several weeks . I've requested a refund , we'll see how that goes.

Earlier this year i tried buying the same thing on ebay and the results were similar , after jumping through some hoops , some back n' forth emails and a bit of a wait I was able to get a refund .

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I checked the SOWA catalog because there are Calgary distributers. Not sure where they are made, but you wont like the price.
I doubt Gearhead88 would have been happy with the amazon offerings either thou. Once out of the box, things start looking/working much different then the selling features mention.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Gearhead88, I agree with @little ol' e. I have one of those tilting tables. Frankly, the quality was VERY disappointing. I opted to keep mine because I reasoned that once it is bolted into position it would work fine. But in reality it's just the gasoline required to get it to the return depot that stopped me. Quite some time after that, I got some solid angle blocks on Kijiji.

If you really want one, you can have mine at half price plus shipping. But I don't recommend it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are other styles that are more like pivoting plates, some with/without support arms. I have seen some shop made versions of this. I would assume the tilting kind might be a bid more rigid under milling loads but not really sure, I don't have either. All of them start to consume vertical real estate as they get bigger by the time you mount a part or vise & factor tooling, might be an issue on a small/medium mill.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-11-13 10.04.30 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-13 10.04.30 AM.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3
  • SNAG-2022-11-13 10.04.44 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-13 10.04.44 AM.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3

Gearhead88

Super User
Thank's for the comments guys .

I'll admit , I've bought lots of stuff on Amazon , often the description is a little vague or missing important details .

I don't allways leave feedback but when I do and it's on an item I am not impressed with I make sure to say so .

I recently tried to buy a rep[acement air filter for my compressor, three tries and still wrong , a shit show indeed .

I'm becoming less and less interested in doing buisness with Amazon