• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WTB 5C 3/16 HEX Collet

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Anybody have one they can afford to part with? I know I can buy a new one but $80 seems like a bit much.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
you can sets of cheepies if it will do the job

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-08-28 9.52.40 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-08-28 9.52.40 PM.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 13

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've resisted buying hex 5C collets for this same reason, they were spendy & I didn't have many applications. But I suspect the less expensive ones might suite my occasional purpose. What I wonder is how they fit normal hex stock? Usually the over/under tolerance on round collets is pretty close, max = nominal opening, min = maybe 0.030 under that? So how does it work with hex stock? The stock I've had in various materials varies all over the map. If it was much larger for example, would it fit the collet? Now you have no 'next size larger' to go to like a progressive round set.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Thanks for the posts. Not looking for cheapies, most of the time they are more trouble than they're worth and worth waiting a couple of months for.
All the hex sets I've seen don't include a 3/16. KBC has a 3/16 but they want $80 for it and the brand has a lot of bad reviews.
I'd go for an ER-40 if there is such an animal, I see the 3/16 in ER-32 but haven't seen it in ER-40.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
huh, learn something every day. I'm guessing ER would give more size variation than 5C but haven't used either.

1630349485037.png

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Anyone had any dealings with DGI Supply? Hardinge is not on their supplier list but they are a distributor of Hardinge products.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a Mitutoyo something-er-other from them couple years ago. They seem to be kind of like a Thomas Skinner from what I can tell.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Thanks Peter - I talked with them last week and they were going to get back to me with a cost, still waiting. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see who forgot about it. lol

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good luck. Maybe also inquire about the shipping mode too. I might have them mixed up with someone else but I think they use a courier service that requires signature upon receipt. That wasn't convenient as I work during days.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Can you wait a couple of days? I think we have one at work, but I won’t be able to check until Monday 9/13

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
@whydontu - I can wait thank you very much as I'm not in a panic for it. I read the reviews for ones on line and even though it says sae most seem to be a tight fit which makes think they're metric.
Thanks