Wrench Question

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @YYCHM : it is designed that way so you can move it to the next pattern on a square nut. Basically to get it out of the way or allow you to get a bit more of a turn in a tight area - like your tailstock or tool post. I have a square end one if you need it?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey @YYCHM : it is designed that way so you can move it to the next pattern on a square nut. Basically to get it out of the way or allow you to get a bit more of a turn in a tight area - like your tailstock or tool post. I have a square end one if you need it?

That's exactly what I'm using it for, the square nut on my tailstock lock bolt. I had to make the square nut.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Cripes, thats where it went! Thats from the latern tool post from high school 40 years ago! We could never find the damn things.....

Never thought of a lantern tool post. This one doesn't fit my lathe lantern or shaper lantern tool posts.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a couple of those. The carriage lock on my SB has a square head. Thought the wrench didn't fit without a few passes with a file.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Should this fit an 8 point nut or is it for square nuts only?

I vote both. Regardless of its original intent, it will work for both so why limit its use to only one of them?

Its not at all like using a Philips screwdriver on a Robertson screw.....

That said, I found lots of places that specifically identified this particular "Armstrong 585 1/2" inch wrench as a toolpost wrench for the old lantern style tool holder. I have a few of these wrenches with a square hole that fit the lantern tool post on my old F E Reed lathe.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I vote both. Regardless of its original intent, it will work for both so why limit its use to only one of them?

Its not at all like using a Philips screwdriver on a Robertson screw.....

That said, I found lots of places that specifically identified this particular "Armstrong 585 1/2" inch wrench as a toolpost wrench for the old lantern style tool holder. I have a few of these wrenches with a square hole that fit the lantern tool post on my old F E Reed lathe.

No such thing as a 8 point fastener, and if they do, they sure aren't going to have a octagonal shape on them. A google search indicates they are for square head nuts, screws and plus.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
No such thing as a 8 point fastener. A google search indicates they are for square head nuts, screws and plus.
I have 8 point sockets for use on square head plugs. So much nicer to grab one and an impact gun, than using an open end wrench

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No such thing as a 8 point fastener, and if they do, they sure aren't going to have a octagonal shape on them. A google search indicates they are for square head nuts, screws and plus.

I'm pretty sure I have a few scavenged from an old piece of farm equipment. It was used to attach ripper blades to a plow frame. My sense is that it is a special bolt designed to prevent farmers from using the wrong one. I remember it because it was so unusual and cool looking.

But I confess that you have made me doubt myself. It's possible that it might be more like a reverse torx. When I get out to the shop tomorrow, I'll see if I can find one and take a pic for you!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
The last time I saw an 8-point wrench like that it was for a Toolpost on the Saddle of an well experienced Lathe, about ten years ago.