• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Whoops.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm making a meat grinder plate for stuffing sausages. I am using a slice of 4140 because it is what I have and it was close to the needed end size. It is pretty tough machining for my little equipment but it can be done slowly and the finish turns out nice.

Normally the holes on such a plate are kidney shaped to allow maximum opening with little restriction. I however do not own a rotary table or the cutters to achieve such holes. So I figured I'd just put in as large of a hole and as many as I could. My original "plan" was 5x25mm holes. However just before drilling of the holes I decided to use 30mm holes as I had a backup cutter in that size if my first cutter failed (which I was expecting). I went to cut the second hole and realized that 30mm holes are not going to fit very well in my "plan". I went ahead and cut them all anyhow.

I had to use my drill press as I did not have a vice large enough to hold the piece properly on my milling machine, so rigidity was less than ideal. I used some horrible little carbide tooth hole saws I bought cheap of Aliexpress or Amazon. If you do not have any of these, keep it that way and buy something else if you can afford it. However if you are like me and figure you can't afford good annular cutters here are a couple of things to help make the cheesy ones work.

First replace the little 5mm set screw that holds in the drill bit with a decent screw. The originals do not hold the bit in tight and the head of them stripes out causing all sorts of frustration.
Second, do not try to cut more than about 3/16" thick mild steel as the saw does not evacuate the chips very well and you have to do constant plunging to clear chips. As well if you cut through much thicker stuff the donut hole that gets cut out is very difficult tk remove from the hole saw.
Third, the bits in these saws are also very poor. I predrilled a pilot hole in my piece and that helped.
Fourth, really try not to buy these if you can.

Having said all that....I was drilling through 3/8" 4140 and I did eventually get the job done. 20221213_075714.jpg 20221214_110439.jpg 20221214_110511.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
No the meat is preground and you want a plate with minimum restrictions. The grinder is just used to stuff the sausage casings. It works rather poorly in my experience but if you don't have a sausage stuffer it is a way to get it done. The plate is not for myself but someone else.
ah I see, this is just the stuffer plate....

I dont even have a plate in my stuffer, just a large opening. I made mine from PVC pipe, a piston of hard maple and o-rings and some water fittings to a foot switch

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks good, ive have used my grinder to stuff sausage in the past and it worked fine, I'm sure it'll work great once you get the knack of kt

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a stuffer for myself and prefer that over the grinder/auger method by a long shot.

Yea I've heard that before, I'm guessing it depends on the grinder.
I have only used my big Cabela's one to stuff, so my experience may be skewed as it's one of those 50lb 1hp deals (I don't recall Wich one exactly, I'm not home to check)

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Start with a good recipe! I've been wanting a good BREAKFAST saussage recipe but haven't found one I really like. Do you have any you'd share?
I have a good breakfast sausage recipe...
I had it posted on a facebook sausage group and got great reviews. I'll find it for you. its on back up hard drive

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Awesome I look forward to reading it and hopefully trying it!
The following can be stuffed into links, made into patties or fried in bulk for things like sausage gravy and biscuits, my personal favourite. Ground Pork butt, ironically from the front shoulder and neck, yields about 22% fat content which renders beautifully to provide the perfect based for roux for gravy...

My bulk breakfast sausage recipe:

4 pounds pork butt (get your butcher to grind it fine if you don't have a grinder)

1671122597725.jpeg

Mix together the following herbs and spices
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Blend in a stand mixer until its all gooey and sticky as hell and spice mixture well distributed. OR by hand... I start with just the salt and let this "develop" before mixing in the balance of the ingredients. This develops the proteins so it isn't dry and crumbly.

1671122434534.jpeg

Fresh herbs preferably

1671122258728.jpeg

stacked and rolled sage leaves up to "chiffonade" them into long thin strips that I then chopped...

1671122322634.jpeg

1671122212236.jpeg

Thyme is harder to chop...

1671122171015.jpeg

Spice blend must be mixed thoroughly

1671122295149.jpeg

Like so...

1671122554737.jpeg

Who wants a bonus pork pic?

Yeah I thought so... Pork Butt also makes an excellent cured bacon product... leaner than strip, far fattier than Canadian Bacon from the loin. Perfect for breakfast sandwiches. This is my cured butt ready for multiple rounds of cold smoking...four 12 hour sessions.

1671122746629.jpeg

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
sorry I could not find a few more photos and videos with more of the key steps and the final video of the sausage frying up 3 ways. This is old and the facebook archives dont download is a nice neat order so finding any past content and the linked media is hard

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
sorry I could not find a few more photos and videos with more of the key steps and the final video of the sausage frying up 3 ways. This is old and the facebook archives dont download is a nice neat order so finding any past content and the linked media is hard
Hey that's looks like something I might like. I'm going to try it. Thanks very much for sharing.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hey that's looks like something I might like. I'm going to try it. Thanks very much for sharing.

It is a good solid breakfast sausage recipe... one that will appeal to most palates. When I can get it I'll replace the brown sugar with maple sugar, and add a few drops of liquid smoke.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I make a sweet and hot venny sausage, with maple syrup and habaneros (or whatever hot peppers I grow that year), that is pretty damn good. I haven't hunted much in the last 3 years though, so I'm all out. I've always used the kitchen aid mixer/grinder, but after burning up her mixer during the last deer, she bought me a dedicated grinder with stuffer attachment that Christmas. I say it's cursed, because I haven't got a deer since lol. I usually do few different flavours when I make them, like traditional Italian, and honey garlic in a natural casings. Next time I'm going to make some smoked pepperettes.

I don't do recipes, but it's just maple syrup, peppers, and some dried onion, garlic and citrus peels (we dehydrate that stuff ourselves). The longer they sit and mingle, the better it tastes. The combination of sweet, heat, and citrus....mmmm... They don't last long.

Aliva

Super User
My breakfast sausage:
1 lb. ground pork
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry sage
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
mix all ingredient's and adjust to taste.
Let sit over night and stuff into sheep's casings.
Increase ingredients for every pound of pork e.g. 5 lbs. x by 5

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I make a sweet and hot venny sausage, with maple syrup and habaneros (or whatever hot peppers I grow that year), that is pretty damn good. I haven't hunted much in the last 3 years though, so I'm all out. I've always used the kitchen aid mixer/grinder, but after burning up her mixer during the last deer, she bought me a dedicated grinder with stuffer attachment that Christmas. I say it's cursed, because I haven't got a deer since lol. I usually do few different flavours when I make them, like traditional Italian, and honey garlic in a natural casings. Next time I'm going to make some smoked pepperettes.

I don't do recipes, but it's just maple syrup, peppers, and some dried onion, garlic and citrus peels (we dehydrate that stuff ourselves). The longer they sit and mingle, the better it tastes. The combination of sweet, heat, and citrus....mmmm... They don't last long.
I love all sorts of sausages, cured meats and dry sausages... yum. But I don't hunt any more so it usually use pasture raised heritage pork, and selected cuts of beef for Braseola

I meticulously document my efforts to refine the taste and make it repeatable. It is also necessary when dry curing meats to ensure people dont get poisoned. I make huge batches because yeah they dont last long when you make regular meals of charcuterie. This is why I need to start making cheese too

26231884_10155159181407337_8547848901071887960_o_10155159181407337.jpg