Which small production grade mill?

I'm sitting around waiting for this stupid coronavirus to pass through the house. I'm starting to mend, so now it's the boring time.
Just for discussions sake, if you were able to buy the machine you wanted, and had plenty of room to operate it, what CNC mill would you have?
Something with these travel parameters (roughly)
-
TRAVELS
X-Axis
18 in. (457 mm)
Y-Axis
11 in. (279 mm)
Z-Axis
16.25 in. (413 mm)

And a budget around $60k CAD.
Needs to use common tooling .
This is just a discussion starter about what YOU'D want. So there's no right or wrong answers.
Interested to see your choices.
Ken

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
60k eh.... I'd buy another tractor.

Just having fun. Can't wait to see what you come up with for that!

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
On the subject of CNC mills the Z axis travel appears to be fairly long for most of the smaller ones I've seen. Likely a HAAS or some German/Japanese machine might have that.

If the question is metric or imperial the first thing to decide is whether you want BT or CAT tool holders or is this more hobby oriented and therefore R8 with Tormach Tool Holders are good enough.

Is a tool changer and carousel of tools mandatory?

And are you willing to spend the money to turn a manual mill into a CNC mill. That's a big question.

Would you like Horizontal milling features? If so this one is a good starting point but will require a lot of work to make into CNC and is still only R8.

HAAS isn't that expensive if you have $60K

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would go with HASS mini mill. It is a good hobby sized mill that can do limited production runs. I am sure there are many other similar choices. You can go bigger then mini mill - it is just that I do not trust "space is not a limit" thing ;)

Tom O

Ultra Member
It depends a lot on what features you want loaded on it that’s what drives up the price.
There is a Haas Mini Mill group on Facebook

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It depends a lot on what features you want loaded on it that’s what drives up the price.
There is a Haas Mini Mill group on Facebook

Yes, you can have bare bones or "deluxe" I think price difference is like double.

I like the Tormach 1100 mx. I keep going back to it when I'm window shopping.
Neat, compact enough, and the work it turns out seems very good quality.
I think I'd try to pimp one of these right up.
Ken

Haas's mini mill lineup has a lot to off for sure. I was under the misconception that they had only larger machines. Size, wise they compare to the Tormach, but prices are where the big differences show. The additional cost is probably justified, but it's something to consider.
Ken

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Haas's mini mill lineup has a lot to off for sure. I was under the misconception that they had only larger machines. Size, wise they compare to the Tormach, but prices are where the big differences show. The additional cost is probably justified, but it's something to consider.
Ken

Tormach is a "home made" made CNC - i.e. its totally hobby grade you can make at home, roughly. Haas is a real CNC machine industry grade. Thus the price difference. I would not mind a Tormach but many times it is way over priced --- its value is roughly $$ needed to CNC a manual machine.

This does not mean home grade machines cannot make good parts - they can.

There are a lot of other Tormach style machines out there - however, if I want a dream machine I do not dream in Fiat - I prefer Ferrari or similar.

JReimer

For me I agree with the Tormach 1100 mx option. Partially because I wouldn't be doing fast speed production where I need the power of the Haas but more so because with a 60K dream budget after I pimped out the Tormach I have room in the budget for all the tooling and extra toys to go with the machine. Lets face it the cost of the machine in only a small part.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For me I agree with the Tormach 1100 mx option. Partially because I wouldn't be doing fast speed production where I need the power of the Haas but more so because with a 60K dream budget after I pimped out the Tormach I have room in the budget for all the tooling and extra toys to go with the machine. Lets face it the cost of the machine in only a small part.

Tooling for CNC is not even close to the price of a machine. Usually small fraction of the price. Its a big deal only for manual machines where tooling frequently is more then the machine. Fully loaded Haas would come with stuff from the factory such as a probe, ATC, 4th axis etc. All one needs to add is a nice vise and a set of nice tool holders. Heck I would not be shocked if they also were selling the machine with that tooling included as an option.

You can clearly see that on auctions where tooling sells for much less then the machine. For CNC you need a lot less fancy tooling then for a manual machine as well.

Thanks Tom,
You're a library of information on your own.
I'm too new to all this yet to even know what questions I need to be asking.
And ever brand/model has devout followers and haters, so weeding through the preferences for actual advice like you've given is tough for me.
Thanks,
Ken

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thanks Tom,
You're a library of information on your own.
I'm too new to all this yet to even know what questions I need to be asking.
And ever brand/model has devout followers and haters, so weeding through the preferences for actual advice like you've given is tough for me.
Thanks,
Ken

Remember its has to do a lot about price to what you get - I would say a Tormach 1100 in decent condition for say $5000 would be excellent deal. But a new Tormach 1100 for price approaching Haas is not longer a good deal - its a bad deal.

I.e. new Fiat for $500 is a great deal, especially if it comes with a Tony to fix it ;)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Tormach to HAAS is an apples and oranges comparison unless you can upgrade the spindle in the Tormach to take BT holders and turn 10,000 RPM.

A Volkswagen Beetle with flat air cooled horizontally opposed engine isn't the same as the liquid cooled horizontally opposed twin overhead cam Subaru engines. They are different even if they both have pistons.

And HAAS is overpriced but then they have to pay for their F1 racing team even if it is a loser.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Another thing that gets sprung on you is the Haas will need a air dryer for the spindle or it could void Your warranty and they don’t recommend the pellet type, I toyed one for a while then I got one from KMS for $1500 a few years ago they’ve gone up since then.
871F9F83-89F3-4551-B92F-71054840309C.png

Tooling for a CNC usually ends up costing as much as the machine. If you are loading an auto tool changer you will have a tool holder and tool for each slot along with spares as jobs change. You want the CNC to run not wait while you change tools in a tool holder and re-zero between tool changes.