Where to get ISO 15 or even ISO 10 oil?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You can get ISO 22 at princess auto. But getting anything lower then 22 seems to be ... hard. Does anyone know of a place that could sell for example a gallon of ISO 15 or ISO 10 oil? Even getting 20L seems hard - shell said they offer a whole barrel for like $1100 CAD.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
10W is same as ISO 32
5W is same as ISO 22

I am unsure about 0W as some tables give it same viscosity as 5W.

There is of course the problem of detergents that are in engine oil not in spindle oil. I look at KBC - I just briefly looked at their site and it seems they have ISO 10 available which I can blend with a bit heavier oil to get exact match for the manual (which is ISO 12).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In the SDS sheet for the spindle oil Rudy linked https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-820-810
says the ISO is 5-15. Not sure if that just means the intended range and 10 is average so in the middle?

The ISO numbers themselves encompass a bracketed range of kinematic viscosity which is really the key parameter. And the other important thing to recognize the viscosity of any particular ISO or 'weight' oil varies dramatically by operating temperature. For example look at the 40C vs 100C kinematic viscosity values on the left of chart, the viscosity at 100C is 20% of the viscosity at 40C value. So your particular operating temperature conditions might be the more meaningful thing to look at. Blending oils to achieve a target viscosity at room temperature are only relevant at room temperature. If you do go down that path, try & stay with like oils.

Attachments

• SNAG-12-20-2019 0002.jpg
    SNAG-12-20-2019 0002.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-11-9-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-11-9-2019 0000.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
10W is same as ISO 32
5W is same as ISO 22

that generally is true.

However, if you read KBCs description of each grade of oil carefully, you will note that they say “WT” - as in abbreviated for “weight” and not ”W” - as in abbreviated for “wide range“ (which nowadays also means detergent additives as in 5W40).

Here, is a PDF of the product directly from Mullen Oil - the manufacturer of the EEZ spindle oils. They sell ISO 5 up to ISO 32 weight (WT) spindle oils that are fully compatible with today’s high speed spindles and are equivalent to Mobile Velocite series of oils.

I have a gallon of ISO 22; you are welcome to have some should you also need that grade. Unfortunately I do not have any ISO 10 or ISO 15.

Note the labeling...

14E4822D-24F1-4052-9BF0-E977CD19CCBF.jpeg

F034A287-DD38-46BC-815A-F08D96CC86B2.jpeg

Cheers, Rudy

Attachments

• Lit-EEZ-SpindleOil.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gsg9.ca

You can get ' non-detergent ' oil at Canadian Tire. Mine has 5W and 10W iirc. KBC is good. They've had a bunch of free shipping promo's. Check Boxing Day for deals.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I check whatever university of AB drained the variator of oil as it seems they did both the gear box and the spindle. In case anyone knows more then me the lathe is Colchester Chipmaster 5 x 20 And original specified oil in 1968 for both variator and the gear box is Shell Tellus 33. They still make these variators - https://www.allspeeds.co.uk/kopp-variators/ they now recommend Shell Morlina S2 BL 10 -- Kinematic viscosity : Typical 10 mm2/s at 40 °C / 104 °F --> which is about 58.8 - when looking at original shell Tellus 33 it is a bit more and works out to around 11 2/3 ISO equivalent.

Also the is all average - the actual ISO 10 oil is somewhere between 9 and 11.

For the variator which is the most sensitive thing in the machine (and I bet noisy) I need a quart - Brian, can you sell me a quart if you are in Calgary area? I check whatever they did emptied the variator as well today or tomorrow.

Brian Ross

Sure, I could part with a quart or so. On the package it is listed as ISO Grade 10, Viscosity = 60 SUS @ 100F and a flash point of 260 F.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
OK I check variator oil level today and tomorrow. If its also empty I PM you. The gear box oil is standard ISO 68 or SAE 20 so not a big deal. The spindle should have thin oil but its not that critical if it is run slow - most people run ISO 32 in regular spindles which make it to around 1500 rpm max - so as long as I don't go full speed it should not be an issue to do similar or run 2000 rpm with ISO 22.