• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Where to buy 48in graduated scale in decimal (50ths instead of 64ths)

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I'm making an adjustable fixture and I would like to add a graduated scale to the side. My dream scale would have both metric and imperial scales, but I could live with just imperial. The imperial scale would preferably be in decimal and graduated in 50ths. It needs to be 48 in long. Starrett sells something close but it is $800 lol.

Any recommendations?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I'm making an adjustable fixture and I would like to add a graduated scale to the side. My dream scale would have both metric and imperial scales, but I could live with just imperial. The imperial scale would preferably be in decimal and graduated in 50ths. It needs to be 48 in long. Starrett sells something close but it is $800 lol.

Any recommendations?
try Pec Tools, they might have something

Xyphota

Ultra Member
An adhesive backed tape could work. I would be worried about slightly stretching it during its application though so I dont know how accurate they would end up being. For the price though it could be worth a shot. I would really like to get an imperial scale in decimal

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The Lee Valley one is made from steel so aside from being thinner than a rule, should not stretch much as a material. I think the adhesive is just to keep it bonded to the surface, which would be equivalent to bonding a steel rule? I've seen replacement measuring tapes but pretty sure they have the curl.

from Lee Valley description> These tapes are made of annealed steel with a protective coating and can be mounted directly on the top or front of your bench.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
The only other thing about the tapes that I'm not super keen on is that they look like the measuring face is printed/laminated to the steel backing so they could potentially wear off. Realistically they should be fine for what I need, but I'd prefer a stamped or engraved one given the choice. I think I'll definitely go with the Lee valley one if I cant find anything else

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
What about having one made? A piece of stainless the thickness/width/length you need and have an engraving shop laser mark it with fine lines. It won't be $20 but it won't be $800 either and you get exactly the dimensions required.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wood working tool places usually have nice metal stick-on rules for table saw extensions. Dunno about tenths tho.....