• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Where Are You Bringing Your Scrap ??

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Where are you guys bringing scrap these days? Usually I just drop off stuff (< 20 lbs.) at the landfill because I am going there with household stuff, but after my big cleanups I should have several hundred pounds.

I get that most places are closed these days maybe, but at some point I want to get a few dollars for this steel. Who takes small loads these days, and what's the procedure? I seem to recall at Federal you could drive in, get weighed, unload and get reweighed. I seem to remember you tossed smaller stuff on a scale maybe.

How does it work these days? It's been at least five years for me....

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well before pandemic it looked exactly like you described. You got weighted in, you dumped your stuff and then you were weighted out and got your $$$.

I was dumping lots of scrap last time about 6 months ago or so - over $100 worth.

I have no idea what is open now - I am waiting on a pile of few hundred lbs for stuff to slowly re-open so I can get it recycled.

6 months ago federal was closed - I went to place closer to the city center.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My experience has been to get weighed between commodities. “Shred” usually pays the least, so I’d scale, toss off any shred, then go scale and kick off the next one, usually #1 heavy. Then go scale and move onto the next one. Pretty much anything that had a spot outside I’d use the big scale.

Once all that’s done any batteries, brass, copper, aluminum etc usually gets weighed inside on a smaller scale, individually.

That old sink? If it’s stainless it’s usually worth $5-10, rather than $0.25 as shred for example

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That’s useful. Thanks guys. What constitutes “shred” vs. “heavy”?
I recall lots of places wouldn’t take things like chicken wire, expanded metal, etc. because it jammed shredders.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I was always under the impression anything could go for “shred”. I could be wrong

“#1 heavy” is thicker steel, under 4 foot lengths, typically

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Federal metals has been inconsistent in the past. I personally prefer blackfoot metals because they have always been friendly. Either one is pretty good most days.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Federal metals has been inconsistent in the past. I personally prefer blackfoot metals because they have always been friendly. Either one is pretty good most days.
My last experience @ Federal was five years ago. It was bad too. And I still remember it. So I have no doubt you're correct.

Prior to this I used Calgary Metal, and we all know how that freight train derailed....

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I never had anything bad to say about Federal until about 6 months ago when I send my parents there with over 1t of scrap and they seen a closed sign. I had to send them to another scrap yard. They were closed for multiple days - not sure why.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
My last experience @ Federal was five years ago. It was bad too. And I still remember it. So I have no doubt you're correct.

Prior to this I used Calgary Metal, and we all know how that freight train derailed....

Oh I haven't been to federal in 8 months to a year. Last time I dropped off there was a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with them. But I'll always follow the path of least resistance. Blackfoot metals seems to get me in and out quicker