When you're the only one doing it, are you a visionary or a fool?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
About 6 or 7 years ago I was at some tool show and I saw Triton's new updated workcenter. I was not impressed with it, nor am I that impressed with festool's multi-function work tables. I prefer a far sturdier support system for saws and such.

triton_txw7_normand_1.png

Two things about Triton's table though intrigued me... they added modules that drop into the table to increase the functionality. Of course their old work center could mount a circular saw on the underside to make a cheap table saw, but this version has a well designed entire saw that just drops in place. I have yet to see any other manufacturer produce a similar drop in saw module. I find this surprising, because there are now a host of drop in router lifts and plates made to fit such tables. Triton makes a router insert to fit this table for instance. They also make another cross cut type saw drop in insert.

triton_twx7cs001_normand_1.png

triton_twx7rt001_normand_1.png

16008132.jpg

So, are they geniuses, ahead of their time or doomed to failure fools?

Note, Festool has since come out with one similar type of drop in tool for their multi-function table system, but it is their $4K edge bander system that drops into the table. Festool went two other directions with their contractor table saws, a dedicated folding larger contractor saw and a cordless small table saw. I'd never want to try to cut a sheet of plywood on any of these tools.

I touch on these things because I like the drop in insert idea. I don't like tables that try to incorporate a table saw and a router table. It requires too many compromises. A drop in module requires less area, it leaves a cleaner worksurface and fuller pattern of dog holes, and leaves a less cluttered worksurface for assembling projects.

The problem is that I have a Bosch contractor's saw that was very expensive and is in very good shape. I know how it cuts and I am happy with it. However, I'd like to try the Triton saw module and think about building a workcenter around it and a drop in router module.

I also like the module idea for a welding table, and would like to design a few modules that drop in such as chamfering tool insert, and a bench grinder insert and grinding fixtures that mount to dog holes. The table will be a folding one so can't have a permanently mounted tool

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I must say that Incra Tools also has a one of a kind fence system for table saws and routers, but I'm positive their product is revolutionary...

p_tsls_body2_zoom.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've looked at things like that too simply because I have an uber small shop. Triton has a good foothold in England and Europe but I'm not sure of their market presence in North America.

What I finally settled on is my Unisaw (with only 24" rip capacity), a Makita tracksaw and a 54" x 29" MFT style table that I had CNC cut. I added a UJK fence to the latter so that I can make wide crosscuts using the tracksaw.
For joinery I have a 24" Leigh dovetail jig, a Jessem dowel jig. I sold my hollow chisel mortiser simply because I never used it.

The Incra fence is a beauty but holy moley it's a major space hog for wide rips. And insanely expensive in Canada. That said, Inca has amazing support and make beautiful products.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I've looked at things like that too simply because I have an uber small shop. Triton has a good foothold in England and Europe but I'm not sure of their market presence in North America.

What I finally settled on is my Unisaw (with only 24" rip capacity), a Makita tracksaw and a 54" x 29" MFT style table that I had CNC cut. I added a UJK fence to the latter so that I can make wide crosscuts using the tracksaw.
For joinery I have a 24" Leigh dovetail jig, a Jessem dowel jig. I sold my hollow chisel mortiser simply because I never used it.

The Incra fence is a beauty but holy moley it's a major space hog for wide rips. And insanely expensive in Canada. That said, Inca has amazing support and make beautiful products.
I will say that Incra has outstanding support and pre-sales support. Back in early 2021 Mark Mueller sent me a highly detailed response to an email answering all my questions about the various options for mounting to a custom workbench I am going to make. With brother's basement I can now make table with the Incra 52" rip system, with a 39.5" deep table top, and 32" LS positioner.

The cost is a major issue. I decided against Incra in my home shop space for that very reason, and found a DIY version I had started making before deciding to get rid of the dewalt radial arm saws I was going to use it with.

I had both a MFT top cut by my usual cnc router guy before getting wise and having him cut me a template out of hardboard, using the festool 96mm on center distance but a 30mm hole, plus locating pin locations. I bought a 30mm guide bush and 20mm end mill, so I can cut any size top I wish by making plunge cutss with the 20mm mill while centered in the 30mm holes in my template.

Dennis from hooked on wood inspired me have a large bench with plenty of dog holes.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mark helped me with a pair of Incra sliders that were defective. They guy is outstanding.

I'm curious about the Triton set up. I can't find any CDN retailers though.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Dennis is impressive in how he approaches making things. His Banggod tool reviews are very useful. @TorontoBuilder have you found any sources for the black HDF that he uses for work bench tops?
Yes I did find black MDF board via my architectural products suppliers. However it is cost prohibitive. I figure a stain is much much less expensive.

I also haven't decided if I even want bare mdf top I am leaning towards a matt laminate instead.

Forescolor colour through MDF can be ordered through Print International and is shipped out of the USA, $450 transportation cost for between 1-10 sheets, likely a lot higher now given fuel price increases since I was quoted on the product. 4x8 sheets 18mm thick were $180 per sheet at the time. Not sure if those prices have increased.

They have many other colours too. If anyone wanted to split a load I may be interested.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Mark helped me with a pair of Incra sliders that were defective. They guy is outstanding.

I'm curious about the Triton set up. I can't find any CDN retailers though.
Home Depot, Rona, and Normand all carry Triton. I bought my Triton router from Normand IIRC. sadly they're not local and I always have to plan a trip to the closest one.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes I did find sources for black board. However it is cost prohibitive and has a huge minimum order requirement... I'll dig out the supplier if you really want... but I figure a stain is much muct less expensive.

I also haven't decided if I even want bare mdf top I am leaning towards a matt laminate instead
For what it's worth, when I built my Cosman bench I coated the MDF with shellac. The result is good. It seems to add a bit of dent resistance. Before I did the shellac applied CA to the dog holes to firm up the edges.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
For what it's worth, when I built my Cosman bench I coated the MDF with shellac. The result is good. It seems to add a bit of dent resistance. Before I did the shellac applied CA to the dog holes to firm up the edges.
Yeah, I had heard CA glue in the holes and simple wax surface was a decent option too... as is a polyurethane finish. I really just want wood glue resistance, and semi-slippery surface to make sliding sheets of plywood across the saw easier

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The one review on Home Depot of the tablesaw insert isn't very complimentary.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The one review on Home Depot of the tablesaw insert isn't very complimentary.
I haven't seen it. But I'd also want to know, is it the saw that sucks, or the rickety work table they've dropped the saw module into that is the cause for the poor review.

My table would be able to withstand a nuclear strike.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Compromises in what way?
Too many large areas that cannot have dog holes. Tables with both router and saw permanently mounted also require a longer fence system. They also require a larger table. That last compromise is no longer an issue given larger basement available now. Large glue ups of furniture really benefit from lots of fixturing on large table with tons of dog holes.

The beauty of LS positioning system it that it can be dismounted in seconds to leave a totally base work surface.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I was looking at the real estate between the rails on the Incra and there would be a better use than just open space.
My saw came with the long rails so I made use of the empty space with the router and can use the saw fence with the router (carefully).
P1010973.JPG P1010975.JPG
I was just curious as to your point of view.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I was looking at the real estate between the rails on the Incra and there would be a better use than just open space.
My saw came with the long rails so I made use of the empty space with the router and can use the saw fence with the router (carefully).
View attachment 29163View attachment 29164
I was just curious as to your point of view.
Oh yeah, if you just need a saw and router table that is a good way to go no disputing that. I wanted a fixturing table as well.