Whatsit?

trlvn

Ultra Member

img.axd

Offered in an auction in SW Ontario that includes a few machinist-type tools (depth mic, bore mic).

Craig

TheLocalDrunk

Depthing.jpg

"
  • The depthing tool is used to establish the distance between centers for a wheel engaging a pinion. Each arbor is held on a pair of centers. The depth of engagement is determined by adjusting the screw on the front of the tool. To find the proper depth, the pinion is restrained slightly with one finger while the wheel is driven with another finger. By adjusting the depth and feeling the freedom rotation, a good depth can be established. The center points on the ends of the tool can then be used like compass points to mark arcs on the watch plate.
    In practice, I've found that the alignment of antique depthing tools leaves much to be desired. I get better results by using the measuring microscope to see the depth and read off the center distance. A spring punch attached to the microscope head is then used to mark the plate. I don't yet have a means to feel the depth while taking the measurement, but this would be very nice. Anthony Randall has a great method for depthing in the lathe using a centering microscope. I plan to make a fixture like his. It is illustrated in volume one of Crom's Horological Tools."

Source "https://www.csparks.com/watchmaking/SmallTools.html"

trlvn

Ultra Member
Thanks! There is an amazing variety of small tools specialized to various crafts and professions, isn't there!

I didn't see the final price of the lot in question. I think they were each at $35-40 with a couple of hours left. Unfortunately, that auctioneer doesn't upload the final price after the close.

Craig