What's up with this DRO?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Hmmm - I wonder if the DRO and scales are setup correctly? Are the scales 1 micron or 5 microns? Do you have the DRO setup to match the scale's precision?
Yes, it's all matched up. It was fine for about the last 6 months, then I found a problem a few days ago, after inspecting my cross slide (there's a clue I should have caught sooner). Magnetic gap was almost certainly off enough to throw off the results. And then some sort of firmware bug, as demonstrated in the video.
Running well now, though I don't trust it as much as I used to.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Running well now, though I don't trust it as much as I used to.

That's a very healthy attitude if you ask me.

I've bitched about digital metrology on here before. So it won't come as a surprise to anyone when I say that this is exactly what I don't like about digital stuff. It's fantastic when it works. But it can also lie with a straight face and then bite you in the ass. You have no idea when it's coming. And by the time you feel the blood soaking into your jeans, it's too late and the job is ruined.

I love digital as much as anyone, but when it comes to absolute blind trust, only analog delivers the goods. It would be nice if we could always have both.