Whats it worth?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have geographically distant friend that would like to sell his lathe and upgrade to a bigger one and he has asked me to help him put a value on it.

I have not yet seen the lathe myself but I am going to assume some things that may or not be 100% accurate but based on the following info:

Atlas 12x24 with change gearbox, steady and follow rests, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, tailstock chuck and in good repair with no obvious signs of neglect or wear.

I told him it was probably worth at least $2500 but I'm sort of guessing there.

It is located in Northern BC right now but I suppose I would be willing to move it down to southern Alberta if the timing of that was when I was making a trip up there anyhow. So western Canada market pricing is what I'm looking for.

What say you all? What sort of dollar range should we be in?

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
It is a regional thing I suppose, so I can only speak from a central Ontario perspective. Atlas, IMO, is pretty much the bottom end of the lathe world. Older technology and very light weight, the ways were 3/8 in thick, but were upgraded to 1/2 in thick in the 70's. I bought my Atlas, with extra chucks, milling attachment, lots of tooling, for $400. Admittedly, I did get a good deal but still, it is an Atlas. I would not recommend anyone paying more than $1500 for one. Above $1500, you are into South Bends, Logans, and any of the other older, smaller, hobby lathes that are still a cut above Atlas.. At least that is my take.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The price is needing some clarification. What is the condition of the ways, and how noisy are the gears? Is this a belt change headstock, or a gear head?

A 12X24 for 2500$ needs to be in good shape, with signs it was cared for (not just a quick clean up for sale purposes)

2500 could be in the right ball park, or a little high, depending... I'm assuming lightly used and great condition.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I think your on the money for Alberta/BC 2-2500

I agree with @Dabbler, it's going to have to be pretty good for 2500, but still in the ballpark

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok great thanks guys I just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark. And I figured I was probably on the highest side. $2500 certainly would be more than I would want to pay for it but I know machinery now seems to command pretty crazy prices in my opinion.

trlvn

Ultra Member
AIUI, the post-1957 12 inch models were much beefier than the earlier Atlas lathes. The 12 was also offered with bench-top or 'under-drive' configurations. Example of the underdrive:

img42.jpg

More details:

Craig