• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What type / source-of tubing for one shot oiler

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Looking for recommendations on type of tubing to use for one-shot oiler. Current mill (craftex) has 4mm tubing, but has issues. I want to replace it with better design and flow-adjustable valves. I see a lot people using pneumatic fittings and PU Pnuematic line (2mm ID, 4mm OD) but don't know how this would hold up to oil.

I also can't afford a Goetswinter type solution either, so no German brand name parts. I have a spare oiler I picked up from KBC, and it has a manifold, but not tubing.

I'd ideally be looking for what I can source from amazon, ebay, aliexpress (that order).

Final input: would you use metric or imperial sized tubing/fittings? Any preference?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I used 1/4” copper tubing and 1/4” plastic tubing. All 1/4” brass compression fittings and a custom made brass adapter. All terminations have a delrin insert for flow control/restriction.

The cooper was chosen because it bends easily and stays in place on short runs without needing support - no chance of pinching once the routing is determined. The plastic is oil resistant. Oh, there is a ball check valve (shop made) in the copper to plastic transition to prevent drain-back.

I was too cheap to buy bijur type oil metering valves - hence the shop made delrin inserts. Is there too much flow to some locations? Sure. I could change the restrictor orifice size. Maybe some day.... Way oil is cheap compared to wear on the ways. So my mill “leaks a bit”.

Keep in mind this is for a full size Bridgeport Mill. The Craftex may not have enough room... You could
switch to 5/32” components.

F800AB95-A93C-41BC-A049-B30D9A751ACB.jpeg
67ED9741-9A02-4AAE-A162-4883A14FE365.jpeg
7B96E59E-7C19-4602-8F37-9BBF27B6F039.jpeg

Tom O

Ultra Member
It’s using hydraulic pressure so tubing size shouldn’t really matter what should matter is the amount of oil required and the length of stroke needed. How much oil does a factory one disperse I’d guess a ounce or two.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I used 1/4” copper tubing and 1/4” plastic tubing. All 1/4” brass compression fittings and a custom made brass adapter. All terminations have a delrin insert for flow control/restriction.

The cooper was chosen because it bends easily and stays in place on short runs without needing support - no chance of pinching once the routing is determined. The plastic is oil resistant. Oh, there is a ball check valve (shop made) in the copper to plastic transition to prevent drain-back.

I was too cheap to buy bijur type oil metering valves - hence the shop made delrin inserts. Is there too much flow to some locations? Sure. I could change the restrictor orifice size. Maybe some day.... Way oil is cheap compared to wear on the ways. So my mill “leaks a bit”.

Keep in mind this is for a full size Bridgeport Mill. The Craftex may not have enough room... You could
switch to 5/32” components.

View attachment 10322
View attachment 10323
View attachment 10324
Some of you guys do some really nice work, in anything you put your hands to.
Very clean install

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
tubing size shouldn’t really matter what should matter is the amount of oil required and the length of stroke needed.

Agreed.

My main “metering parameter” is oil oozing out of all locations. If I use the mill a lot, it is maybe 1/2 a pull on the handle per day. If it has been sitting for a week or so, then I need two full pumps.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking for recommendations on type of tubing to use for one-shot oiler. Current mill (craftex) has 4mm tubing, but has issues. I want to replace it with better design and flow-adjustable valves. I see a lot people using pneumatic fittings and PU Pnuematic line (2mm ID, 4mm OD) but don't know how this would hold up to oil.

I also can't afford a Goetswinter type solution either, so no German brand name parts. I have a spare oiler I picked up from KBC, and it has a manifold, but not tubing.

I'd ideally be looking for what I can source from amazon, ebay, aliexpress (that order).

Final input: would you use metric or imperial sized tubing/fittings? Any preference?
So I had a pinched lined on my mill when I got it and could not find the same line anywhere but the US Amazon site. So I ordered it. Same Vendor I have boughten a bunch of Chinese stuff from on Amazon.ca but that particular product was not available on the Canadian site.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good job Rudy. Did you have to redo your internal lines on your mill too like these areas? I've often wondered what they use on those tight installations. Seems like older machines are copper but small ID stuff. And lines I've seen in Asian machines (935 style shown) look silver so maybe ductile aluminum like Versatube?
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/search/search.php?s=VERSATUBE&x=0&y=0

AS&S sells nylon tube & fittings. But I suspect copper /fittings is a lot more common if you can accommodate it
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/nylaflow.php?clickkey=55935
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/hapages/polyflofittings.php

Attachments

• SNAG-7-24-2020 0002.jpg
    SNAG-7-24-2020 0002.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-7-24-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-7-24-2020 0003.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did you have to redo your internal lines on your mill too like these areas?

Thanks Peter. My machine came with external “grease fittings” for oiling. There is only one non-zerk oil point: you align the table with two lines, remove a set screw, and drop in oil through the center T-slot for the “dog bone” ( the combo X/Y lead screw nuts seen in your picture). So all my lines are external to feed the original points, except for one that I ran under the table to the lead-screw nuts. It also drips oil onto the knee bevel gear and the Z axis lead screw on the way out the bottom of the mill.

The one line under the table was a tight fit, with a custom brass termination at the lead screw.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Thx gentlemen, this helps. I checked my spare oiler and it appears to be metric (M8 x 1.0 if you believe the gauge). I'm definitely under oiled, not sure if all the lines are functioning. I usually manually oil what I can see/touch.

Rudy -- do you 'bow-hunt'? I usually have a yearly 'moose-surplus' at my acreage, a cow drops off a calf every year and he rages havoc on the yard. I've had a few guys come out and 'help-out' the situation over the past 10 years, but have lost touch with most of them. Last one took 12 minutes, his nick-name was Norman and he would stand 10 feet away at the end of the yard. Felt bad...... for a few minutes. I used to fill my water truck and he would lick the windshield while I pumped water. Way to comforatable.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
[mention]DPittman [/mention] , the line on the mill is the same as yours (4mm), the fitting on my spare Oiler is M8x1.0 thread. I’ll be using either 4mm or 1/4 as Rudy did

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you're doing a custom system start to finish, automotive brake line tube and fittings, or even compression fittings might be something to consider. Cupro copper/nickel tubing is awesome to work with, and comes in 3/16"/4.75mm.