• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What to do

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know you are not supposed to crank on your vise with something on just one side of it but what is the best method to even out the clamping force in the vice when you have an oddball size of stock in the one side?

Attachments

• 20200702_171917.jpg
    20200702_171917.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess i could mill off with a few strokes with the bottom of the end mill. I am wanting to square up the piece and was thinking my way worked best for that. Sometimes I don't think so clear.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I would do what you’re doing Don. I’m not sure that’s “correct “ but I do that frequently.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My mini-mill protested profusely when I attempted to side mill like you're doing. Will be interesting to see what my big mill thinks of that operation. Which reminds me, I should tram the Y-axis and check to see what that is doing.

Craig

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Were you climb milling? Need to avoid that. Even my 1500 pound mill could not climb mill.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just tried side milling a 1/4" plate in either direction. No drama. Sweet!

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its considered best practice to locate small parts in the middle of the jaws. Its kinder to your vise jaws & and actually holds more securely because of the location of lead screw. When there is no other option people block up the other end. Obviously it has to be very closely sized so either sacrificial stock or mini machinist jack. Making jacks is on my to-do list as well. I have used makeshift ones from a cap screw & double nut (longer coupler nut on end & regular nut to lock it). But a bolt head & shank probably don't provide good contact like the jack pad. Anyways you very lightly tighten the part side, then jack the bolt assembly nut so its firm in the jaws, then tighten the assembly. Always check the part is secure before milling because its possible for things to distort & move.

BTW for squaring & surfacing I use my insert mill head a lot. It provides an accurate surface & as good or better finish as any fly cutter I've messed with. But it can also take material down pretty good too. I square off the ends of longer stock with an endmill exactly like you are showing because there is no other good way, but whenever possible I prefer to mill across it with the bigger tool for best surface & dimensional control.

Attachments

• IMG_2911_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2911_edited-1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0

thriller007

Its considered best practice to locate small parts in the middle of the jaws. Its kinder to your vise jaws & and actually holds more securely because of the location of lead screw. When there is no other option people block up the other end. Obviously it has to be very closely sized so either sacrificial stock or mini machinist jack. Making jacks is on my to-do list as well. I have used makeshift ones from a cap screw & double nut (longer coupler nut on end & regular nut to lock it). But a bolt head & shank probably don't provide good contact like the jack pad. Anyways you very lightly tighten the part side, then jack the bolt assembly nut so its firm in the jaws, then tighten the assembly. Always check the part is secure before milling because its possible for things to distort & move.

BTW for squaring & surfacing I use my insert mill head a lot. It provides an accurate surface & as good or better finish as any fly cutter I've messed with. But it can also take material down pretty good too. I square off the ends of longer stock with an endmill exactly like you are showing because there is no other good way, but whenever possible I prefer to mill across it with the bigger tool for best surface & dimensional control.
What size is your milling head Peter? And why is everybody’s machines so shiny?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What size is your milling head Peter? And why is everybody’s machines so shiny?

Its 2" diameter, 4 inserts (APKT-1604) on R8 toolholder shank. Its the smallest one they make in this particular line but personally I think its good size for smaller mills, although my experience has been confined to RF-45 & mini Bridgeport.

HaHa - I have messy pictures too!

Attachments

• SNAG-7-3-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-7-3-2020 0000.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
With light cut I can easily side mill 2" high piece and did it many, many times. Climb milling is possible but only light cuts as it cuts in the same direction table is moving which adds "power feed" & can be bad for control if heavier cut is taken. I guess I should add power feed to Y axis to maybe solve that - but no urgent need - X / Z power feeds are far more useful.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
An old school way of balancing the force on the jaws is to use a machinist's jack on the other side. An improvised one can be made from a 1/2" NF bolt and nut, cut to fit. Use various bolts to get bigger steps. works very well!

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Smaller gaps, use a nut and bolt of comparable size to the gap and you can use half the width of the nut as expansion/ jam, larger ones use your clamping kit pieces in the same way