• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What technology changed

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was given this "new" unused rheostat/potentiometer. What's the reason for the massive size difference between the old and the new?

I'm now going to go search to make sure that a rheostat and potentiometer are the same things as I assumed in the above statement... 20220619_190056.jpg 20220619_190031.jpg

SparWeb

They are not equivalent devices.

That is an awesome rheostat you have there. Take good care of it!
I think that's also called a "variac" but maybe someone more knowledgeable needs to correct me.
The wiper bar on the top is covering the "output" spec but I assume it can vary from 0-120VAC output, based on the 2.2A current rating and 270VAC power rating.
If you don't want it, I have a use for it. :)

The other thing is a cheap potentiometer made in China. Variable resistor. Useful but not very special.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They are not equivalent devices.

That is an awesome rheostat you have there. Take good care of it!
I think that's also called a "variac" but maybe someone more knowledgeable needs to correct me.
The wiper bar on the top is covering the "output" spec but I assume it can vary from 0-120VAC output, based on the 2.2A current rating and 270VAC power rating.
If you don't want it, I have a use for it. :)

The other thing is a cheap potentiometer made in China. Variable resistor. Useful but not very special.
Ah yes my preliminary research indicated right of the bat that they are not the same thing. I just haven't quite figured out yet what application the old rheostat was made for. I just knew that someone on this forum would know these things. I will continue to read.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
A Variac isn't the same as a rheostat; it's a transformer and a rheostat is a variable resistor. The windings on a Variac are copper wire; it's a type of transformer and the wiper is selecting differing numbers of turns on one of the windings. A wire-wound rheostat winding is made of resistance wire. BTW, depending on how you connect them, most Variacs will output voltages from zero to a voltage greater than the input, IME.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, a variac is a variable transformer and a rheostat is a variable resistor.

Think of the Variac as a very efficient variable voltage AC power supply. That supply can also be rectified and filtered to easily become a variable voltage DC power supply.

I had a nice one around here someplace but it has disappeared.......