• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What Materials Can Be Cut On A CNCMachine?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Anything pretty well, as long as the appropriate cutter is used and cleanup is regular, using odd materials like wood or plastic or rubber etc is not super common but it is done

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Your question is to open ended but i can share some generalizations on what types of materials a small hobby grade CNC machine can cut.
tormach.jpg
This is a common hobby CNC milling machine. It would commonly be used to cut plastic, aluminum, steel, stainless steel, brass, copper. the main limitation of this machine is its small spindle motor means a low material removal rate. Also many users complain of excessive back lash causing parts to be out of tolerance.

20171127_131856.jpg
This is a small Haas lathe. It is more of a mini industrial machine, small enough to fit in the back of your truck but strong enough for light production of small parts. They are used to turn magnesium, aluminum, steel, stainless steel, bronze, or plastics.